Alford Silver Band to hold bank holiday sale
ALFORD Silver Band will be holding its popular annual book sale this bank holiday weekend - May 5, 6 and 7.
The band has acquired a huge variety of nearly new books, CDs and DVDs in good condition, which will be sold at bargain prices to help boost band funds.
“We have held our Spring book sale for a few years now,” explained band secretary Jane Taylor, who organises the event. “It is proving as popular as ever.
“We were a little late announcing the date this year and I have had lots of enquiries from our regulars as a result.”
The book sale provides an important boost to the band’s income and helps fund expert tuition for the young musicians in the training section.
“We are really grateful to everyone who donates books for sale,” commented band chairman Martin Briggs. “And we’re also grateful to those who subsequently buy them.
“We put a lot of hard work into recruiting and teaching youngsters to play a brass instrument, but of course that doesn’t come cheap, especially as we provide the instruments.”
The band’s recently held annual general meeting voted unanimously to seek Registered Charity status to try to gain a better financial footing to assist this vital work.
The band’s rehearsal centre, located on the far side of the car park at the rear of the Alford Foodstore (Co-op) in Millers Way will be the venue for the sale and will be open between 9.30am and 3.30pm on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, May 5, 6 and 7.
Members of the band will be staffing the centre on a voluntary basis.
“Hopefully, the town will be busy over the weekend with the annual craft fare,” added Jane.
“But a short stroll down from the Manor House and past St Wilfrid’s Church, to get behind the Co-op will be worthwhile to anyone looking for a good read at a small price.
Further information about the book sale or the band itself can be obtained from the band secretary, Jane Taylor via 01507 466330, or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Works belonging to international textile artists stolen during workshop at Louth school
- UPDATE: Police investigating suspected arson attack on ex-RAF building in Manby
- ‘Deep concerns’ over 1,000-home plan for Louth are raised at public forum
- RSPCA investigating suspected dog poisonings in Louth
- Louth man’s threatening texts were ‘a desperate cry for help’
- Mayor ‘fed up’ at claims Louth’s Town Councillors are in it for the money
- Former Louth swimming pool could flattened and replaced with 29 new homes
- Lincolnshire Police commissioner and crime panel chairman under fire from MPs in Westminster
- Louth Ghost Walk part of Wolds Walking Festival
- Louth Hospital staff praised at NHS awards
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Louth
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: South west
Temperature: 9 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east