Campaigners get behind Lindum’s rejected Mablethorpe development

Local residents Stephanie Carruthers, Pauline Clarke and Pete Spybey with their petition.
Local residents Stephanie Carruthers, Pauline Clarke and Pete Spybey with their petition.

A GROUP of local residents have launched a campaign backing Lindum’s expected appeal against the rejection of their £50million development in Mablethorpe.

The plans for land off Golf Road, including housing, a supermarket, care facility and petrol station were unanimously turned down by East Lindsey District Council’s planning committee on December 15.

The verdict has pressed supporters of the development into action with campaigners Pete Spybey, Stephanie Carruthers and Pauline Clarke setting up a Facebook group as well as launching a petition.

“We want to show that local people do want this,” Pete explained. “The £50million investment will lead to more money and jobs coming into the town and we need to have a voice.

“We’re really hoping Lindum decide to appeal as the town needs this development.”

Lindum Group chairman David Chambers told the Leader that his company was very likely to appeal against ELDC’s decision.

Vociferous opposition to the development seemed to have some impact on the final decision; Coun Robert Palmer said he felt it would be wrong to approve the application ‘when so many local people had turned up to emphasise their opposition’.

The organisers are hoping to present the petition to ELDC chief executive Nigel Howells should they reach 250 signatures and the Lindum appeal go ahead as thought.

The Facebook group already has over 60 members and more than 40 people have so far given their support via the petition.

A committee has also been formed, they will hold their first meeting on Wednesday, January 11 at 7pm at Tennyson High School.

View the Facebook group online at http://on.fb.me/tlssYX.

Do you support the petition, or should the decision made by ELDC be final? Email your views to sam.kinnaird@jpress.co.uk.