A TOWN and district councillor has vowed to fight every inch of the way against bus cuts which he says have left locals ‘stranded’.
Coun Andrew Ferryman is angered that the Sunday number 9 Stagecoach Mablethorpe to Skegness service has now stopped after funding cuts.
He has vowed to fight against the cuts which he says will affect young and old alike across Mablethorpe and Sutton on Sea.
Stagecoach’s winter season timetable came into force on October 31 meaning there is now no service on a Sunday.
Coun Ferryman said: “For many residents the service was the only opportunity for them to travel. Many residents now feel they are left stranded.”
He also questioned the district council’s retaining of free bus passes for senior citizens, he asked: “What is the point of giving out free bus passes for buses that don’t exist?”
The service had been subsidised by Lincolnshire County Council to ensure a winter service, but cuts of £1 million have now forced the issue.
Head of transportation at the county council, Chris Briggs, explained: “We have had to manage a budget shortfall of £125 million over the next four years. Unfortunately this has led to a reduction in the annual bus subsidy budget from £5 million to £4 million, which has meant we can’t subsidise as many services.
“Where services have been reduced people can use our nationally accredited CallConnect service, which responds to demand. People can call 0845 234 3344 and book this bus service up to a week in advance.”
A spokesman for Stagecoach added: “We are aware that the service cuts will affect a small number of regular bus users on this route, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience they will be caused as a direct result of the funding withdrawal.”
l Do you agree with the cuts? Text your views to 61500. Start your text with LOP LLNEWS followed by a space and then your message, please include your name and address. Texts cost 25p plus standard network charge. Full terms on page 2.