Police warn of ‘extremely unsafe’ Manby building which was gutted by arson attack

Eyewitness Shaun Smith sent us this photo of the blaze.
Eyewitness Shaun Smith sent us this photo of the blaze.

Police are warning people against going inside or near a former RAF building in Manby which was gutted by an arson attack on Tuesday night, which they say is ‘extremely unsafe’.

As reported the The Charterhouse on Manby Business Park, near to the East Lindsey District Council offices, was set alight shortly before 8.30pm with four fire crews being called to tackle the fire.

The derelict building, a former RAF Sergeants’ mess, suffered severe damage to its ground floor and although Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue refused to confirm the cause police are investigating an arson attack.

Eyewitness Shaun Smith said he believed a hole had been dug in the flooring which was then filled with carpet and set alight.

PCSO Sally Read said the fire was deliberately started from inside the building and was the second fire in 10 days at the Charterhouse.

“The building is extremely unsafe and there is great concern for any persons entering the building,” she said.

“Under no circumstances should anyone enter the building.

“If you have children who play in that area, please make sure they are aware of how unsafe the building is and that they should not play near that area.

“Patrols in the area will be increased and details of any persons nearby obtained.”

East Lindsey District Council’s spokesperson, Marie Williamson, said: “We can confirm that our Planning Enforcement team has been in contact with the owner of Charterhouse, a grade two listed building, following Tuesday’s fire at the property.

“The owner has informed us that contractors have been sent to the site and will be securing the building over the next few days.

“We will continue to work with the owner of the property to determine the most appropriate way forward in respect of this matter once they have had the chance to secure the building and assess the damage that has been caused.

“We can confirm that we have served formal enforcement notices requiring remedial works to be undertaken in February (2013) with a compliance period of two month due to the buildings condition.

“The owner appealed the notice, which put formal enforcement actions on hold.”

Anyone with information about the arson attack should call Lincolnshire Police on 101, quoting incident 461 of May 14.