A dog owner in Louth says he is ‘distraught’ after his beloved pet Labrador died and another became seriously ill after apparently being poisoned.
Alex Brader, a Broadley Crescent resident, was left heartbroken after his three-year-old Labrador Buddy died on Wednesday.
He said Buddy had suffered ‘violent vomiting and diarrhoea’ after fallng ill on Bank Holiday Monday, before sadly dying at a vets in Louth.
His other Labrador, Eddie, has suffered similar symptoms and looked to be in a bad way but is said to be ‘much better’ after taking a course of medication.
Alex is fearful that the dogs had eaten something poisonous whilst out on a walk, his usual route is Thames Street and the canal.
“We’re devastated, it’s like losing one of the kids,” he said of Buddy’s death.
“We’re absolutely distraught as Buddy should have lived happily until 10 years old and more,” he continued.
“We want other people out there to be extra careful as nobody should have to go through this.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if someone hasn’t put rat poison down on the riverbank,” he said.
Alex is urging people to take their dogs to the vets if they notice any sign of vomiting, diarrhoea or just unusual behaviour.
Local dog trainer Sue Wileman said she is unaware of any other dogs being poisoned in recent days, but said the hot and wet weather could have led to the build up of toxins.
Lincolnshire Police said they were not aware of any reports of dogs being deliberate poisoned.
RSPCA spokesman Andy Robbins said: “I can confirm the RSPCA has been contacted by a caller who reported concerns that their dog may have been poisoned in the Louth area.
“The RSPCA will now investigate this matter and would appeal for anyone with any information to contact us by calling 0300 1234 999.
“Deliberately poisoning a dog is an offence under the Animal Welfare Act and so we are keen to hear from anyone who may be able to help with our investigation.”
Has your dog been affected? Tell us what you know about the suspected dog poisoning. Email email@example.com or call us on 01507 353219.