Huttoft fire caused by sunlight through glass jar

editorial image

A fire in Huttoft yesterday afternoon (June 9), which was attended by six fire crews, was caused by the Sun’s rays through a glass jar.

A large quanity of cardboard was set alight at a skip in Alford Road, Huttoft, and was attended by Alford, Mablethorpe, Spilsby and Skegness fire crews shortly after 2.30pm. Louth and Wainfleet crews joined later, alongside a Holbeach water carrier.

Firefighters used cranes, diggers, one main jet and two hose reels to tackle the blaze.

Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue later revealed that the fire was caused by the concentration of the Sun’s rays through a glass jar.