LB Mablethorpe verdict is delayed

The land which is part of LB Mablethorpe's proposal, and is currently owned by the Lindum Group in Golf Road.
The land which is part of LB Mablethorpe's proposal, and is currently owned by the Lindum Group in Golf Road.
0
Have your say

ANGRY residents have condemned the Mablethorpe Town Council Planning Committee’s decision to delay their verdict on re-generation plans for the town.

At Monday’s meeting, attended by over 60 members of the public, any hopes of an outcome to LB Mablethorpe’s application were once again quashed. It was agreed that the council should wait for more guidance from the Lindsey Marsh Drainage Board, the Environment Agency and Anglian Water.

Councillors raised more concerns over flooding potentially caused by 3.7 metres of land profiling AOD (Above Ordnance Datum) for the 180 new houses.

LB Mablethorpe, part of the Lindum Group, applied last year to build 120 affordable houses, 60 market houses, a supermarket, filling station and family pub in Golf Road, Mablethorpe. The plans were supported in principal by the town council in February, subject to an S106 agreement to obtain guidance from the Environment Agency.

Planning Committee Chair, Coun Steve Palmer, allowed two residents both for and against the plans to address the meeting.

Mablethorpe resident Kim Parrinder told the meeting: “The plans would take £3.17 million out of the town centre, equating to over £60,000 per week. We can’t afford to lose this amount of trade when shops are struggling already. There are no re-generation or employment benefits from this proposal.”

One resident in favour responded: “I fully support the plans; they will bring employment for the town which is sorely needed. It’s a marvellous opportunity for Mablethorpe.”

Councillor Paddy Prince proposed the extension to the verdict before East Lindsey District Council make the final decision, and this was seconded. The committee also agreed to seek clarification from the Housing List that there was a need for the amount of houses proposed to be built. But residents gathered outside the meeting venue at the Mablethorpe Library to speak out.

Mrs Parrinder told the Leader: “It was a shambles. The councillors just got sidetracked by other issues and we want to know what they are playing at. This is going to rumble on and they (LB Mablethorpe) are not going to win.”

Another resident, who did not want to be named, said: “We want to know what’s going on. The councillors are supposed to be representing us but don’t seem to want to make decisions. We retired here for a quiet life, and it’s anything but.”

l Should the Planning Committee have made a decision at the meeting? Do you support the LB Mablethorpe proposal? Email your views to sam.kinnaird@jpress.co.uk