A MAN stole more than £500 from his sister in Louth while staying with her after having accommodation problems, Skegness magistrates have been told.
Ryan Peel, 25, now living at Grosvenor Road in Skegness, admitted stealing £525 from sister Belinda and her boyfriend David Wolfe, on May 22.
He also admitted failing to answer his bail on August 21 and to breaching a conditional discharge imposed for theft in July.
The court was told Peel had gone to stay with his sister and her boyfriend at Broadway Crescent, and when they went to the cinema he stole the money from two tins, where it was being kept to pay certain bills.
After he was arrested, he told police he’d taken the money to buy drink and drugs and he rang his sister to apologise and to say he would pay the money back, but he hadn’t done so.
It was also said he was bailed to court to answer the charge on August 21 but failed to turn up.
In defence, Gary Farmer said Peel had a ‘terrible drink and drugs addiction’ and all his offending had been to pay for that.
He said Peel missed his previous court hearing because some people were after him and he had gone into hiding.
The magistrates, who heard he had been in custody on remand for three weeks, told Peel he had a ‘terrible record’.
“You breach court orders, you breach community orders and you steal from your sister,” they told him.
He was sentenced to a total of 25 weeks in custody and ordered to pay compensation to his sister.
- BREAKING NEWS: ‘Explosions’ heard during fire at ambulance station on Louth industrial estate
- UPDATE: Explosions felt and ‘mushroom cloud’ spotted near scene of fire at private ambulance station in Louth
- Yarn bombing in Louth
- Video: Christian Nock’s special message to the people of Mablethorpe
- Motorist recounts rescuing ‘screaming’ woman trapped in toppled lorry near Skendleby
- 22/10/08 - RICHARD Lingard
- Residents have until August 5 to discuss changes to East Lindsey District Council’s ward boundaries
- Red Arrows and Countess of Wessex at Lincolnshire Show
- North Lincs Engineering 50th anniversary
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Louth
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east