A DEVELOPER planning to extend Louth by 149 new homes appears to have a fight on their hands after a number of residents rallied round in opposition.
Simon Tighe is leading a campaign against Taylor Wimpey’s plan to build on agricultural land north of Fulmar Drive, near Brackenborough Road, a plan due to be decided next month.
Residents have planned a public meeting to gather support, and cite traffic, flooding and infrastructure fears, but Savills, the agent for the planning applicant, are confident their plans are right for the town.
Louth Town Council narrowly voted in favour of the plans in August, by eight votes to seven, but also raised similar reservations.
Simon Tighe, of nearby Kestrel Drive, said: “I don’t think people are aware of the sheer size of this development, it’s going to be enormous.
“A lot of people didn’t seem to know about it, so I went round the area speaking to people and posting flyers and the response has been amazing.
“Conservatively 149 new houses is 250 cars, the road network just isn’t good enough to cope. The junction at Keddington Road is appalling.
“The infrastructure isn’t there, there are not enough school places and we’ve had blocked drains on this estate three times in the last 12 months so we’re worried about the sewers and flooding.
“Of course we need more affordable housing, but why put it there on a greenfield site?”
Roger Smith, spokesman for Savills, responded: “We’ve been through the consultation replies and what is proposed is acceptable to the Highways Department, including provision of a new roundabout by the Co-op.
“Lincolnshire County Council are satisfied the schools will cope as long as the developer pays a contribution to the future extension of local schools (£347,987 for an extra 29 primary school places).
“Flooding should not be a problem and we’re quietly confident that all issues have been addressed; at present this is only an outline application.”
Last week Prime Minister David Cameron hinted at moves to speed up such planning applications, saying he was ‘frustrated that applicants had to jump through hoops’ and wanted to ‘cut the dither’ in order to reboot the economy through investment in housing and transport.
Town Councillor David Hall voted against the plans last month. “Our schools are full for the next three years, even 60 extra kids would be a major problem,” he said. “The town’s infrastructure simply cannot cope.
“People need to know they can use their democratic rights.”
Coun Laura Stephenson also said she would be willing to speak on behalf of residents, whether they supported the application or not.
Residents are holding a meeting on Wednesday, September 12 at 7pm at the Trinity Centre in Louth.
What do you make of the plans, are they right for the town? Can the infrastructure cope and is more affordable housing enough of a priority? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.