Mablethorpe and Sutton mayor hits out at yobs vandalising newly refurbished beach huts

One of the damaged beach chalets that was recently refurbished in Mablethorpe. Repair work has now been undertaken and the chalet is now ready to hire out. Photo credit: Mablethorpe Photo Album.
One of the damaged beach chalets that was recently refurbished in Mablethorpe. Repair work has now been undertaken and the chalet is now ready to hire out. Photo credit: Mablethorpe Photo Album.

Mablethorpe and Sutton on Sea’s mayor has slammed ‘mindless vandals’ who caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage to two beach chalets - just weeks after they had been refurbished.

Yobs struck at the seafront chalets earlier this month.

Some of the previous damage done to one of the chalet doors. Photo credit: Mablethorpe Photo Album.

Some of the previous damage done to one of the chalet doors. Photo credit: Mablethorpe Photo Album.

Police are appealing for information and it is understood officers are checking CCTV footage.

Windows were smashed and chalet doors badly damaged.

Repair work has already been carried out by Mablethorpe 
and Sutton on Sea Town Council who oversee the running of
 the chalets.

The mayor Coun Tony Mee said: “When I heard about the vandalism to the new chalets, I was really upset.

“It’s simply mindless, shameless vandalism and it’s the small few that spoil it for the rest of Mablethorpe.”

Coun Mee said he could not understand why the chalets had been targeted.

He added: “Even though the repair work was carried out via our insurance, it still means the people of Mablethorpe are lumped with the bill as it comes from our precept that they pay.”

East Lindsey District Council actually owns the chalets and funded part of the £197,000 cost of the refurbishment project alongside the Coastal Revival Fund.

ELDC’s tourism manager James Gilbert said: “Beach huts are an important part of the seaside experience on our coast and it is exceptionally disappointing that a small group of people take it upon themselves to vandalise these facilities that are enjoyed by others.

“We hope those responsible are identified and the appropriate action taken.”

Coun Mee confirmed that now the repair work had been completed, all the chalets were ready for hire.

He revealed there had been ‘a lot of interest’ in the chalets from potential visitors and holidaymakers.

CCTV cameras operate in the beach-front area but police are yet to confirm if anyone has been identified as part of an on-going investigation.

Officers said anyone with information should call 101, quoting incident number 57 of May 3.