Mablethorpe and Sutton not part of new £2.3bn flood scheme

0
Have your say

The Environment Agency have revealed plans for 93 new flood defences in the country, but not Mablethorpe or Sutton on Sea.

On Thursday the government announced £2.3 billion for new flood defences which will keep 64,000 homes safe, including a new £14.5 million defence at Grimsby.

Last month was the 60th anniversary of the East Coast Floods, where 42 people in our area died.

But the Environment Agency say they are already happy with the flood defences on the Mablethorpe coast.

Spokesman Matt Reville told the Leader that the EA were already spending £7 million a year on the Lincshore sand dredging project to build up the beaches, and that £300 million had been spent on the area’s coast since 1953.

Environment Secretary Owen Paterson said: “The 93 schemes given the green light today will bring huge relief to tens of thousands of homes and businesses that have lived with the fear of flood waters hitting their doors. They can get on with their daily lives and work knowing that there are well built defences.”

Do you feel our existing flood defences are sufficient? Email chloe.west@jpress.co.uk.