Mablethorpe community turns out in force to protest against school plans

Community members in Mablethorpe came out in force last week to protest against plans to close the only secondary school in town. Photo: Trevor Bradford.
Community members in Mablethorpe came out in force last week to protest against plans to close the only secondary school in town. Photo: Trevor Bradford.
0
Have your say

The Mablethorpe community turned out in force to protest against the proposed closure of the town’s only secondary school during an open evening.

Proposals are on the cards to close the Mablethorpe site of Monks Dyke Tennyson College with pupils then being forced to travel to the Louth site or an or alternative centre.

Meetings were held at both sites last week, giving everyone in the wider community opportunity to meet with governors, members of school senior leadership and local authority representatives.

But due to the high attendance figures, many people left feeling disappointed that they were unable to get their questions answered.

A spokesman of the Save Tennyson, Save Our Town steering committee commented: “It was such a shame that all these good people turned out hoping to have there say and hear what other people were saying and ended up having to turn away without having their questions answered.”

The committee put this dissatisfaction down to the format of the meeting.

“With everyone arriving at the advertised start time of 6pm, there was no way that they could all be accommodated for in this way,” explained steering group member Paddy Prince.

“There were lots who had to leave before reaching the front of the queue.”

One particularly upset individual was former Sutton on Sea resident Michael Rousell. He said: “As a former governor of Tennyson school I travelled especially from Nottingham to hear what people had to say.

“I still have strong feelings about education over here and firmly believe it should be available in the town in the future.”

Chair of governors at the school Rachel Tickhill commented: “We got a lot of useful feedback and views from people at the one-to-one sessions in Mablethorpe.

“We always advertised these as drop-in sessions as we wanted to provide an opportunity for people to have individual questions answered – we got some valuable feedback from the one-to-one sessions and many people said they appreciated the format and answering their individual queries.

“The Louth event wasn’t as well attended but we expected that as the consultation has a greater impact on the Mablethorpe community.

“There is still plenty of time for people to get their views known on the school website or via the consultation leaflet which has been distributed to various public buildings in Mablethorpe.”

Many members of the steering committee also turned out and spoke to as many people as possible to let them know they are working furiously behind the scenes to bring forward plans to secure secondary education in Mablethorpe for future generations.

This pre-publication consultation period which is being led by the school, with support of Lincolnshire County Council ends on Wednesday, October 7.

After this initial process ends, governors will meet again and carefully consider all views expressed to decide whether they will go ahead with the formal consultation.