Make sure bonfire night is a sparkler

Fireworks
Fireworks

Remember, remember the fifth of November . . .

It is that time of year again when we all get wrapped up and enjoy the fun and festivities of bonfire night. Although fireworks can be exciting, it is extremely important that we keep ourselves and our children safe.

Health visitors from Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust (LCHS) want to prevent injuries in children occurring this bonfire night.

Whether you are attending an organised event, or having fireworks at home, here are a few tips to keep safe:

- Avoid holding babies or children when you have a lit sparkler, as they may reach out unexpectedly and grab it

- Do not give sparklers to children under 5 years old - they do not understand the dangers and are too young to hold them safely.

- Always supervise children using sparklers.

- Parents and carers should teach children not to run about while holding a sparkler or to wave a sparkler near to anyone else.

- Do not allow children to use sparklers without wearing gloves.

- Sparklers burn at a temperature 20 times the boiling point of water.

- Avoid dressing children in loose or flowing clothes.

- Remind a child to hold a sparkler away from the body at arm’s length.

- Ensure children don’t go near fireworks once they are lit or once they have gone off.

- Remind them that only adults should light fireworks.

If an emergency occurs, take note of the following advice:

- Keep calm, cool the burn or scald with cold water for at least 10 minutes.

- Do not rub with butter or oil.

- If clothing is stuck to the burn - do not pull the material off.

- Do not burst blisters.

- Cover the burn with a clean non-fluffy cloth.

- Unless the burn is small, please go to the nearest hospital.

- Call 999 if serious.