Summer fires warning for Lincolnshire

0
Have your say

SINCE the beginning of April, there have been 12 fires caused by careless use of barbeques in Lincolnshire, according to the county council.

Five of these fires were in bins as a result of careless disposal of the equipment, and four were in forestry and grassland.

As the weather stays warm, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue are warning people that these types of fires all have the potential to develop, spread to buildings, or as has recently been seen in Hampshire and North Yorkshire, cause major grass and heathland fires.

Debbie Robinson, Deputy Community Fire Safety Manager said: “This may seem a long list of things to consider, but most of this is common sense. One of the biggest dangers is the use of flammable liquids to light the barbecue.

“We have had occasions where people have poured petrol onto the charcoal in an effort to get it going and the reaction has, not surprisingly, been violent and highly dangerous. Prepare for your BBQ well in advance and light the charcoal early to allow it to reach it’s cooking temperature safely.”

For advice and information, contact Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue’s Community Fire Safety team on 01522 582222.