A BLAST from the past could be brought back to life under ambitious plans by the new owners of the Dunes Complex in Mablethorpe.
Town councillors Paddy Prince and Graham Cullen, who took over the Central Promenade complex in February as a private venture, have revealed they are testing the waters for a possible return of the old Dunes Theatre.
A series of comedy nights are being planned at the complex, and if there is sufficient demand, a venue with a capacity of up to 300 people ‘with elements of the old theatre’ could return.
Paddy told the Leader it was up to the community to show their support.
“We’re looking at bringing live entertainment back, we said we wouldn’t touch the theatre part until next year but we’re ahead of schedule,” he said.
“If we see that the community wants the facility we’ll go ahead, but it will take a lot of time and a substantial amount of investment to get there.
“We’re testing the water at this stage, but since we took over the Dunes the support has been overwhelming.”
The former district council-owned building, most recently Sharky’s, has a bar, restaurant and pool hall with parts of the old theatre still remaining.
The latest good news for the town follows on from last week when we revealed that work on the new Smartie Pants Day Nursery had started, providing 12 new jobs.
“Sometimes a recession is the best time to invest, we’re trying to expand and improve every day,” Paddy added.
“Though it may not entirely be a throwback to the old theatre, some of the old elements will remain.
“The aim is to be fully functional in time for next summer.”
The first comedy night at the Dunes is planned for Wednesday, July 25.
Is this good news for the area? Will there be sufficient demand for the facility? What are your memories of the old Dunes Theatre? Email your views to email@example.com.