THE hosepipe ban covering the Louth and Mablethorpe area will be lifted from tomorrow (Thursday) despite many water levels remaining ‘below normal’
Anglian Water enforced the ban from April 5 after two winters of lessened rainfall left reservoirs running dry, but since the ban heavy rain and cooler weather has brought levels back under control.
The ban will therefore be lifted from midnight tonight.
Paul Valleley, Anglian Water’s Director of Water Services, said: “I am delighted that we are able to make this announcement. It was never our intention to keep these restrictions in place a moment longer than necessary.
“When we introduced the ban back on April 5, we had just been through the driest year on record and gone two winters without the rainfall needed to recharge reservoirs and aquifers.
“We were heading into the summer with reserves well below normal.”
Mr Valleley added that April had been the wettest since record ban and conceded that ‘almost from the moment we announced the ban it started raining’.
“Effectively, we had three months worth of ‘winter rain’ in April,” he said. “This was followed by a wet and cool May and June. The persistent rain and low temperatures have extended the recharge season into the early summer, and this has made all the difference.”
He also admitted that many water facilities are still below normal levels.
And Anglian Water is continuing to ask customers to use water wisely, reducing usage where possible to conserve supplies through the summer.
“We are enormously grateful to our customers for their help and support over the last two months,” Mr Valleley added.
Is this the right move? Should the ban be lifted despite levels remaining below normal or has the rainfall forced Anglian Water’s hand? Email your views to firstname.lastname@example.org.