An extraordinary exchange of historic artwork took place at Louth Museum earlier this month, with the new arrival ready to be displayed in April.
An important new piece of work by T. W. Wallis, celebrated Victorian woodcarver of Louth, was delivered to the museum, whilst one of the best examples held by the museum was carefully taken to London.
The Louth Naturalists’, Antiquarian & Literary Society, which runs Louth Museum, has been bequeathed the fragile and beautiful work in limewood, ‘Trophy of Spring’, which was displayed at The Crystal Palace in Hyde Park during the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Standing at around five feet high, this piece was purchased by an American, Keith Tiedemann in the 1960s, and had since resided in California.
Society President, David Robinson OBE, subsequently made contact with Mr Tiedemann, who agreed that Louth Museum should be the final resting place for this historic piece.
Meanwhile, Tate Britain and the Yale Center for British Art jointly requested to borrow the large-scale work ‘Partridges and Ivy’ from Louth Museum for a forthcoming exhibition which opens at Tate Britain on February 25.
Louth Museum reopens on April 2, when the ‘Trophy of Spring’ will be on public view in the UK for the first time since 1851.