Family outing ended with assault in Louth

Court case
Court case

A family outing to the races ended with two brothers in law falling out and one assaulting the other, a court at Skegness has been told.

Richard Hounsell, 44, of High Holme Road, Louth, admitted assaulting his brother in law Paul Corby by beating in Eastgate, Louth, on July 21.

The court heard that there was a family outing, which included Hounsell and Mr Corby and their wives, who are sisters, to Market Rasen races on July 20, and afterwards the party went for a meal in Louth.

After the meal, some of the party went to various pubs in Louth and that everything had been fine until the group started to walk home after 1am.

Nick Todd, prosecuting, told the magistrates that Mr Corby said that for no reason at all, Hounsell had attacked him, punched him several times in the face and knocked him down, causing chest bruising and a cut lip.

He said police were called by witnesses but at that time, Mr Corby did not want to make a complaint as it was a family matter, but later decided to pursue it and reported the incident to the police.

In defence, Gordon Holt said the couples separated during the evening and Hounsell’s wife went home and Mr Corby went to a different pub to Hounsell and Mrs Corby, although the three met up later in the Fish Shambles in Eastgate. Mr Holt said that Hounsell only threw punches at Mr Corby and knocked him down after he said something to him and, when he went to pick him up off the ground, Mr Corby said something else to him and Hounsell hit him again.

He said the brothers in law had known each other for 15 years but had never got on well, although nothing like this had happened before.

He said Hounsell, who travels extensively in the Far East for work purposes, had referred himself to a psychiatrist and had been told that he was working too many hours, was not sleeping and was stressed which, combined with drinking too much, had led to this incident.

He said Hounsell recognised that he had been over exerting himself for a long time and had now given up alcohol.

The magistrates fined Hounsell £400 and ordered him to pay a £40 victim surcharge and £85 in costs. They said it was not appropriate to order payment of any compensation to Mr Corby.