Holton le Clay boy, 17, arrested and bailed by police after fan clashes during Scunthorpe United and Grimsby Town friendly match


A 17-year-old boy from Holton le Clay was one of three fans arrested during clashes between Scunthorpe United and Grimsby Town fans at the clubs’ friendly on Saturday.

Three people, the boy from Holton-le-Clay, a 17-year-old boy from Cleethorpes and an 18-year-old man from Humberston were arrested in connection with an assault.

The Holton-le-Clay boy was released on bail in connection with the incident.

The other two people were released without charge.

“Just under 2,000 fans headed to Glanford Park to watch the match, and to make just three arrests is a positive result for the football clubs involved and the supporters who travelled,” said a Humberside Police spokesperson.

“However, police would still like to remind people that any form of anti social or unlawful behaviour will not be tolerated.”

Superintendent Dave Hall said: “We will continue to work with Scunthorpe United Football Club and the Local Safety Advisory Group to ensure that the matches are as safe and enjoyable as possible for those people who wish to go and watch the football.

“The start of the 2013/14 season is almost upon us and this sends out a clear message to those individuals, that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated.

“I would like to advise those people who visit Glanford Park, both Scunthorpe United fans and travelling fans that our approach to football related disorder, for the new season and beyond, will be very proactive and hands on.

“We will be working hard to locate and stop those people, who are intent on causing trouble before they get chance to spoil things for those true supporters.

“This sends out a message that we will bring you to justice if you cause trouble.”

Police are still looking to identify four people in connection with Operation Feather.

Please visit www.humberside.police.uk/newsandmedia and click on July 2013 to see if you can help police with the investigation.