INQUEST: Man died 15 days after moped crashed into ditch at Saltfleetby

The B1200 at Saltfleetby.
The B1200 at Saltfleetby.

A motorcyclist who crashed into a dyke on the B1200 at Saltfleetby died in hospital two weeks later of a heart attack, an inquest has heard.

Lorne Edwin Kendall, of Grimoldby, died in Hull Royal Infirmary on August 14 last year aged 43, 15 days after the moped crash.

An inquest at Spilsby on January 23 heard how Mr Kendall suffered a broken ankle as well as bruising in the crash, though these were not thought to be life threatening, before he became septic and quickly deteriorated.

Mr Kendall was driving from his home to meet with friends in Saltfleetby at around 4pm when his T-Rex 125cc scooter went across a grass verge and into a dyke.

Linda Palmer, a nurse from Tetford, was driving along the road when she was flagged down by a member of the public who told her that ‘someone had gone into a dyke on a motorbike’.

She said she saw a man ‘bobbing’ in the dyke, which was around two thirds full, with his helmet on and head and shoulders out of the water.

She and a passer-by helped Mr Kendall out and he had a ‘Glasgow Coma’ score of 15 out of 15, a measure used to assess someone’s conscious state, 15 being the most conscious.

Mr Kendall complained of pain in his ankle and began to vomit, and when Mrs Palmer took off his wet clothes she noticed a bandage on his arm as he had ‘just come from dialysis’.

Mrs Palmer spotted a caravan jockey wheel loose in the road, which the inquest found Mr Kendall had dodged sharply causing him to lose control.

“Mr Kendall saw it at the last minute and took avoiding action”

William Grasham, who was also on the scene, said he had been on the road 20 minutes previously and had not seen the jockey wheel at that time.

Mr Kendall was taken to Grimsby Hospital where he told his mother Pauline Kendall: “I’m sorry mum, I just didn’t see it (the jockey wheel).”

Mrs Kendall told the inquest how her son had sight in only one eye, and needed dialysis three times a week after undergoing a kidney removal operation at a young age.

He was later taken to Hull Royal Infirmary and into intensive care due to fears of infection and an exploratory operation was planned.

On August 12 Mrs Kendall was told to come into hospital where she saw ‘a lot of medical activity’.

Two days later Mr Kendall died after suffering a heart attack.

PC Michelle Ford of Lincolnshire Police’s Collision Investigation Team told the inquest there were no defects on the scooter and that there was no evidence of a collision with the jockey wheel.

“Mr Kendall saw it (the wheel) at the last minute and took avoiding action,” she said.

A post mortem showed Mr Kendall died of a heart attack after he became septic from an ‘unknown source’.

Deputy coroner Dick Marshall recorded a verdict of accidental death. “It was not thought it would have such terrible consequences that we now know stemmed from the accident,” he said.

He said the case was an ‘unusual and complicated one’ and extended his condolences to Mr Kendall’s family.

“The accident was the start of events, and coupled with Mr Kendall’s medical history, was the reason he died,” he added.