Legbourne businessman crashed while more than twice over the limit

Court news SUS-150126-112417001
Court news SUS-150126-112417001

A Louth area businessman, who drove with more than twice the legally permitted level of alcohol in his body, crashed into the back of another car before driving into a ditch, a court has heard.

William George Oliver, 32, of Mill Lane, Legbourne, admitted driving with excess alcohol when he appeared at Skegness Magistrates’ Court.

Mark Salt, prosecuting, said that at 7pm on March 28, Oliver left his home address in a Ford Ranger and in Station Road, Legbourne, he ran into the back of a Vauxhall Corsa pushing it forward 15 to 20 feet and badly shaking the elderly occupants, before overtaking the car, narrowly avoiding another collision with a third car and then driving into a ditch.

Mr Salt said the Fire Service, who were first on the scene, saw Oliver walking away from the accident but he returned before the police arrived.

Oliver was taken to hospital because of his injuries and there supplied a blood sample which showed a reading of 211 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. The legal limit is 80.

Mitigating, Tim Miller said that Oliver ran a family owned trout and fish farm business and on the day in question, had been drinking heavily.

He said that he had had an argument with his parents, who lived on the same site, and had left wearing only jogging bottoms and with no shoes.

He said that Oliver’s parents telephoned the police as they knew he was not fit to drive.

Mr Miller said this had been a real ‘wake-up’ call for Oliver, who had both alcohol and gambling problems.

He said that since the incident, Oliver had spent a month at a rehabilitation centre and continued to attend for monthly visits.

He said that he drove 50,000 miles a year for business purposes and that disqualification from driving would have a ‘significant impact on him and his business’.

The magistrates adjourned for sentence on August 25 and called for a pre-sentence report from the Probation Service.

Oliver was also given an interim disqualification until the date of his sentencing.