Louth man ‘with a violent past’ attacked his friend after believing he had stolen his wallet

Skegness Magistrates' Court EMN-150308-141904001
Skegness Magistrates' Court EMN-150308-141904001

A Louth man attacked a friend he had known ‘for a number of years’ as he believed he had stolen his wallet, a court has been told.

Dean Christopher Speight, 30, of Chequergate, admitted assaulting Robert Taylor in Louth on July 25 when he appeared at Skegness Magistrates’ Court.

Paul Wood, prosecuting, said Speight and the victim had been friends for a number of years and had been drinking together in the Packhorse pub in Eastgate.

He said that Speight’s wallet was taken by someone after he left it on the bar and when he was told that Mr Taylor had been responsible, he went after him when he left to go home and ‘beat him up’.

However, Mr Wood said, Mr Taylor said the wallet had been taken around an hour and a half before he left the pub and Speight had been very angry about it.

Mr Wood said Speight came up behind Mr Taylor in the street outside and said that ‘someone told me one of you took my wallet’ and then proceeded to punch him in the face, knock him down, kick and punch him when he fell into the road and punch him again when he got up, a scene that was captured by CCTV cameras.

He said Mr Taylor was left with a bloody nose and cuts on his ear and arm.

Mitigating, Terry Boston said that CCTV showed there was no kicking but Speight ‘accepts he punched this person’.

He said Speight ‘believes there was a very wrong breach of trust’ and added that the wallet had contained around £300 as well as his birth certificate and other personal documents.

He added that he didn’t know whether or not the victim had taken the wallet but there had been no premeditation, ‘just a reaction to what happened’.

After hearing from the Probation Service that Speight had a ‘history of violent offending in the past’ and ‘a temper control problem’, the magistrates imposed a 12 month community order with a 40 day rehabilitation order and ordered him to carry out 80 hours of unpaid work for the community.

He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation to the victim and a further £295 in costs and charges.