Man caused £1,500 worth of damage at Kenwick Park while on bail

Court news
Court news

A 33 year old man, who was on bail awaiting sentence for failing to provide a specimen of breath, caused more than £1,500 worth of damage in a cabin at Kenwick Park, near Louth, a court has been told.

Dean Alan Billingham, now living with his mother in Bolton, admitted causing the damage on December 20.

He had previously admitted failing to provide a specimen of breath at Louth police station on October 18 after failing a roadside breath test in Grimsby Road, Louth, in the early hours of the morning.

Skegness Magistrates’ Court heard that the roadside test had given a reading of 109 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, but he refused to give a sample of breath at the police station, which would have been the basis of the charge. The legal limit is 35.

Daniel Pietryka, prosecuting, said that while Billingham was on bail for that offence, he ‘literally lost control of himself’’ while he was drunk and caused £1,676 worth of damage to furniture, radiators, cupboards and baubles in a cabin at Kenwick Park.

When interviewed by police, Billingham said he had ‘drunk too much’ and had ‘lost control’.

Mitigating, Carrie Simpson said it had not been a deliberate refusal to take the breath test at the police station, but he had asked to speak to a solicitor and during the telephone conversation he had been cut off and refused to give the sample until the solicitor rang back, not understanding he had no choice but to provide a sample.

She said he had been suspended from his work as a fabricator as he needed his driving licence and effectively he was now unemployed because of his driving ban.

Ms Simpson said Billingham had said he had drunk so much he could not remember anything he had done at the cabin at Kenwick Park.

She said he was suffering from depression following the breakdown of his marriage but was now receiving medication and had been referred to an alcohol addiction group.

She said he was effectively of no fixed address but was temporarily living with his mother.

The magistrates ordered a report from the Probation Service and adjourned the case for sentence at Bolton Magistrates’ Court on January 27.

He had already been given a driving ban until his sentence.