A local woman has warned people to check their bananas after her daughter became sick while eating one which had a red fungus in its core.
Lissa Melin bought bananas at the Louth branch of Morrisons at the end of last week, and her eight-year-old daughter bit into one on Monday only to find the red streak inside - later identified as the naturally occurring fungus Nigrospora - which left her feeling sick.
Following a call to the ‘111’ NHS non-emergency advice line, Lissa took her daughter to A&E and she has since been discharged.
The fungus cannot cause any substantial illness but it can cause ill-feeling, which may be psychosomatic.
Lissa told the Leader: “Another friend states she also found one of these not long ago from Morrisons.
“Maybe Morrisons need to do some more vigorous checking so children - or anyone for this matter - doesn’t eat one again.”
However, as the fungus is found within the centre of the banana, it is not possible for affected bananas to be identified prior to peeling.
A Morrisons spokesperson said: “We are sorry for Mrs Melin’s daughter’s distress.
“This product did not meet our strict quality standards.
“However, we would like to assure her that it is a naturally occurring mould which is not harmful to humans.”