MURDER TRIAL LATEST - Grandfather ‘was interviewed on eight occasions’ on Christmas Eve

Lincoln Crown Court. Library image.
Lincoln Crown Court. Library image.

The grandfather accused of murdering his nine year old grandson repeatedly asked for breaks during a series of interviews with police officers, a jury was told this afternoon (Monday November 23).

Det Con Matthew Naylor told the jury that Stewart James Greene was interviewed on eight occasions on Christmas Eve, just 24 hours after his arrest for the murder of Alex Robinson.

The officer said that none of the interviews lasted more than 20 minutes with the first being brought to a halt after only seven minutes when Greene requested a break.

Greene answered “no comment” when questioned about how Alex died, but at one point described the boy as “playful” and “jokey”.

He gave details of the medication he was taking for mental health problems and said he was suffering from a pain in his head.

Det Con Naylor said that Greene described being diagnosed as suffering from “bipolar or something” and said the effect was that he was up and down.

When asked if he was feeling down on the day of Alex’s death, he replied: “No. I wasn’t too bad. Christmas was coming.”

He said he did not hear voices in his head but had done so previously, which he linked to his past drinking habits.

The jury also heard from G4S custody officer Elizabeth Simpson who spoke to Greene while he was detained at Lincoln’s West Parade Police Station following his arrest.

She said that after taking him a meal he told her: “Why are you being nice to me? I don’t deserve it. You can’t know what I’ve done.”

Greene, she said, also told her: “I’m a dead man. They will kill me in prison for this.”

Earlier, the jury was told that staff at the city’s Peter Hodgkinson Centre asked for police back-up to be arranged for when he was discharged into the community.

PC Mark Loughton told the jury that he was asked to attend at the Centre as Greene had been involved in an incident with staff the previous day.

Giving evidence on the fifth day of the trial at Lincoln Crown Court, he said: “I was asked to attend because when they were going to discharge him they believed there was going to be more issues.”

PC Loughton told the jury that staff at the unit were expecting him to oversee the situation and then drive Greene back to his bungalow home in the village of Grimoldby near Louth.

He said: “He collected his belongings and I took him away. I took him to Lincoln bus station and pointed out the bus stop he needed to catch his bus for Louth.”

PC Loughton said he advised the Centre staff that the police were not a taxi service and it was not normal procedure for him to be asked to take Greene to Louth.

The jury has heard that Greene was discharged from the unit without the knowledge of his consultant psychiatrist and without any care plan.

Instead of going home he stayed on a temporary basis with his former wife in Lincoln.

Social worker Lucy Moss told the jury that she was also not informed of Greene’s discharge from the Peter Hodgkinson Centre and only discovered he was back in the community as a result of a phone call from Joanne Greene, the daughter of Stewart Greene and mother of Alex Robinson.

She said she had expected Greene to be given temporary home leave to prepare him for release rather than be discharged as that was what had been decided in a meeting with the consultant with responsibility for Greene.

Greene, 65, of Danes Court, Grimoldby, denies the murder of Alex Robinson on December 23 last year.

The trial continues.