The sad circumstances surrounding the death of a popular East Lincolnshire man were outlined at an inquest in Spilsby.
On February 25 this year, James Seidel choked to death having consumed four cans of extra-strength Tennents lager and a variety of tablets that had been prescribed to combat intermittent depression.
At the time, Mr Seidel - a former pupil of Spilsby’s Franklin School - had been staying at a first-floor flat in a house in Welbeck Way, Louth, where he had been looking after his uncle, Terry Jesney, who was recovering from heart bypass surgery. On the night of the tragedy, the 39-year-old, who was unemployed, lost his balance and fell down the stairs.
Mr Jesney, who had just been leaving the property, checked that he was all right before making his departure.
When he returned, he saw his nephew lying on the sofa and assumed he was asleep until he noticed his lips were blue, prompting him to phone 999 and attempt resuscitation.
Ambulance technician Brook Vickers attended - but it was too late to save the life of Mr Seidel whose shirt was found to be soaked in vomit, with some in his mouth. A post-mortem revealed the cause of death to be asphyxiation resulting from aspiration of gastric content material.
After offering his condolences to Mr Seidel’s family , the assistant coroner for Central Lincolnshire, Paul Smith, concluded the death had been drink- and drug- related.
Following the hearing, Mr David Seidel paid tribute to his son. Mr Seidel said: “James had a kind and genuine nature. He was a wonderful lad and will be greatly missed.”