‘Sweep chimneys’ warning after firefighters attend incidents in Sutton Bridge and Billinghay

Fire and rescue news.
Fire and rescue news.

Lincs Fire & Rescue ‏has issued a warning to residents to make sure chimneys are swept and ready for safe use after being called to two incidents last night.

A crew from Long Sutton attended a chimney Fire at a house on Nenelands, Sutton Bridge, at 9.53pm. Firefighters say the fire was caused by poor maintenance.

At 9.50pm, a crew from Billinghay was mobilised due to reports of a possible chimney fire. This was ash and embers being drawn up from a wood burner due to heavy winds.

A tweet from Lincs Fire & Rescue said: “As the cold nights draw in, make sure your chimney is swept and ready for safe use! #sweepdontweep http://bit.ly/LFRchimney “