CRICKET: Louth Taverners chase down Tetford to stay in race for second

Phil Nicholson was in form for Louth Taverners EMN-140408-084855001
Phil Nicholson was in form for Louth Taverners EMN-140408-084855001

Louth Taveners took on Tetford on Sunday in the East Lindsey Cricket League at London Road.

After winning the toss, Tetford decided to bat first in seamer friendly conditions much to Louth’s delight.

However, despite Louth removing Tetford opener Chapman early, Louth were the least happy of the two sides after five overs. Tetford opener Smith had taken to the bowling with relish in the opening overs and had advanced aggressively to 32 in his innings, which included six 4s before he was clean bowled by Adie Smart.

The impressive Imran Cheema eventually removed Tetford batsman Dixon for a fine 29 to claim his second and final wicket of his spell, which merited figures of 8-1-26-2 despite him being unlucky not to claim more victims.

Louth were then unfortunate to suffer an injury blow at this point, as Zain Siddiqui dislocated his finger fielding the ball and in doing so cut short his involvement in the match. Richard Bell was brought on as twelfth man and had an admirable game in the field.

Despite the loss of Siddiqui, Louth ran through the Tetford batting line up and eventually reduced them to 113 all out as Phil Nicholson bowled with his usual pace and accuracy to claim the outstanding figures of 5-3-9-3, Luke Freeman bowled a host of outstanding deliveries to take the solid figures of 6-0-27-2, Zubair Ahmed chipped in with a wicket and William Allis executed a direct hit to run out the number 10 batsman.

After the interval Louth lost one of their openers within the first over. However, they looked well placed to chase down their target of 114 when they advanced to 45-1 with some fine stroke play, in particular from Lee Freeman, who hit five 4s in his sublime innings of 31 off just 21 balls.

Louth were soon in trouble though when Tetford bowler Dixon took a hat trick during his highly effective spell of 8-2-13-3 to bring William Allis to the crease with Freeman as the score stood on 45-4.

The situation soon further deteriorated as Freeman was adjudged LBW to Tetford bowler Cox to leave Louth struggling at 53-6.

Phil Nicholson then joined Allis at the crease and the pairing offered stern resistance.

They fought hard to negate the threat of the nagging line and length of Tetford bowlers before Allis was trapped by a yorker to depart LBW for a battling 15 off 31 balls as Louth were again in trouble at 76-7 with 38 still required to win.

Captain Zubair Ahmed then strode out to the wicket and began to counter attack the Tetford bowlers as he and Nicholson took the game away from Tetford during his innings of 16 off 21 balls and Nicholson finishing on 28 not out off 46 balls to take Louth over the line to victory.

Louth take on Sutton on Sea in their next fixture in two weeks time at London road where they will hope to win their fight with Alford to take second place in the league after Graves Park moved so far away from the chasing pack on Sunday it seems unthinkable that they could now be caught.

Thanks to match ball sponsors Lincs Motors Ltd.