FOOTBALL: AFC Louth outclass Mablethorpe in cup’s first round


Mablethorpe 1-4 AFC Louth

Mablethorpe were brought back down to earth with their first defeat of the season after hammering Louth Old Boys 7-0 the previous week.

There was no such luck in the first round of the Tim Sales Charity Trophy versus AFC Louth.

Key players Courtney Skeldon, Jake Spybey, Jamie Pittam, Mathew Sirett and Max Billingham were unable to play for Mablethorpe. Even if all of them were available it would still have been challenging against higher league opposition.

Louth began on the front foot and took the lead with less than 10 minutes played. Steve Goy found Tom Cope in a crowded penalty box and his chipped effort looped in off the crossbar.

Tom Cope then went from scorer to provider by setting up the second goal in the 15th minute. He carved the defence wide open with a killer through ball allowing Danny Kilmore to race clear and score.

Moments after the restart Kilmore was presented with another good opportunity and hit the right post. At the other end Adam Cannon forced Ben Smith into a decent save and blasted narrowly over minutes later.

On the half hour mark Kilmore scored again after Ben Stevens picked him out with a pinpoint pass and he fired in from just inside the box. That made the score 3-0 to Louth at half time.

Mablethorpe made a promising start to the second half and pulled a goal back through Shane Yarnell. Andrew Wyer floated in a free kick and Yarnell rose highest to head into the top right corner.

Soon afterwards Alex Carter stung the fingertips of Smith with a venomous strike and saw a shot go marginally wide. Although Mablethorpe made a promising start to the second half, it didn’t take Louth long to restore their three goal lead thanks to a neat finish by Stevens.

From then on Louth dominated, but didn’t quite manage another goal. They had some near misses and were denied by the woodwork on two occasions.

Nick Manders whipped in a cross and Kilmore connected with a diving header that cannoned off the left post. Manders headed a Ben Stevens cross against the bar too.

Towards the end Marcus Mackay saved a couple of free kicks in quick succession by Jamie Alrdich. Ben Stevens also saw a shot fly inches over with a few minutes remaining.

The final score was 4-1 to Louth and that was a fair result.

A depleted Mablethorpe side battled tirelessly against a higher team and can have no regrets. Louth, on the other hand, performed well and booked their place in the next round.

Mablethorpe’s Mick Stubbs knew it was always going to be a difficult game. He said: “We had a very changed line up as 5 good players were unavailable.

“Even with our strongest side out it would have been hard against AFC Louth. They played very well and our defence was up against it. Credit to Louth – they were worthy winners on the day.”

Mablethorpe are next in action on Saturday, October 4, at home to Immingham Bluestone in the league (2.30pm).