FOOTBALL: Brownson’s double gives Mablethorpe win over Scamblesby


Mablethorpe Athletic, playing for the first time in five weeks, won 3-2 at Scamblesby after Adam Brownson bagged a second half double.

This was a close encounter that Mablethorpe edged to win by the odd goal. Scamblesby were a bit unlucky not to draw after a decent performance.

The first half was evenly contested, both sides hit the crossbar and it looked like the scores would be level at half time. That was until Scamblesby managed a very fortuitous goal in the 41st minute.

The first player to be denied by the bar was Lee Bebbington with a header from Marcus Mackay’s free kick. Robert Rawdon was the second player to with a flick that also struck the bar.

As it was looking like the first half would finish goal-less Joe Smith scored directly from a corner. He swung it in from the left and the ball somehow flew into the top right corner.

A goal kick should have been awarded though because the last touch was clearly off Scamblesby’s Connor Ingamells and not Jai Williamson. Because of that injustice Mablethorpe were trailing 1-0 at the interval.

Mick Stubbs changed the formation from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 for the second half. Defender Adam Brownson was put up front and that plan worked well as he went on to score twice.

Mablethorpe began the second half brightly and Brownson forced goalkeeper Jim Watters into a couple of saves. Soon afterwards Mablethorpe equalized from the penalty spot once Ingamells brought down Lee Twigg in the area.

Brownson took the resulting penalty and tucked it into the bottom right corner. Mablethorpe were pleased to be back on level terms, but unfortunately Twigg injured his shoulder when he won the penalty and had to be replaced by James Rolleston.

Scamblesby almost equalized sooner rather than later when Jack Cunningham cut inside from the left and stabbed inches wide of the far post. Bebbington then headed Andrew Wyer’s long throw into the box narrowly over.

As the game continued to ebb and flow Mablethorpe should have had another penalty as Wyer was tripped just inside the area by Jake Shelbourn. Instead, a free kick on the edge of the box was wrongly given and it came to nothing.

With time running out Mablethorpe took the lead after stand in goalkeeper Jamie Pittam’s long punt landed deep in Scamblesby’s half and almost bounced in. Watters back pedalled and tipped the ball onto the bar before Brownson headed in the rebound.

Minutes later Mablethorpe added a third goal through Mackay, who blasted in the goal of the match from 20-yards.

However, Scamblesby responded immediately with a goal from Darren Cutler to set up a nervy ending.

Scamblesby pushed forward in search of a late equalizer in the dying minutes. It didn’t come as Mablethorpe defended well and held on for a narrow 3-2 victory.

Some of Mablethorpe’s key players were missing so this one was always going to be difficult. Thankfully, those who were available worked hard and did enough to edge it in the end.

Mick Stubbs was satisfied as usual. He said: “I was delighted with yet another good result.

“Scamblesby made us work hard and we did so to win again. The five-week break didn’t help and players were missing, but credit to the lads who took their chance to prove themselves.

“Hopefully players will be back next week for another tough game against Louth Old Boys.”

Mablethorpe are next in action on Saturday, March 7, away to Louth Old Boys in the league (2:30 pm).

Mablethorpe (4-5-1): Pittam; Brownson, Billingham, Bebbington, Williamson; Foad, Mail, Wyer (c), Twigg (Rolleston 63), Mackay (Curry 82); Carter.