FOOTBALL: Depleted Louth Town Reserves on wrong end of 10-0 Cleethorpes thrashing

Football stock image
Football stock image

An extremely depleted Louth Town Reserves conceded 10 goals against Cleethorpes AKP, including five by Nathan Emson.

Louth Town’s second string have no manager as a new one hasn’t been found yet and only nine players were available. Their task of defeating Cleethorpes was almost impossible and it was brave to even bother turning up.

Cleethorpes took an early lead through Oliver Kirton who ran onto Lee Syers’ through ball and fired in from the edge of the box. Afterwards Town’s Robbie Aldrich pulled off a string of saves to deny Nathan Emson, Callum Robinson and Syers twice from set plays.

Cleethorpes netted their second goal on 29 minutes when Emson went on a long run and scored a fine individual goal. Aldrich did well to get his fingertips to the ball and nearly made the save.

Just five minutes later Cleethorpes added their third from the penalty spot after Elliot Towl brought down Emson in the area. Emson picked himself back up to convert the penalty kick.

Straight from the restart Emson dribbled round the defence and was denied a hat-trick by another good save from Aldrich. The young goalkeeper was having a fine game, but he conceded another goal in the 43rd minute.

On that occasion Callum Robinson tried his luck from long range and found the top right corner of the net. That made the score 4-0 to Cleethorpes at half time.

Emson completed his hat-trick with a neat finish less than 10 minutes into the second half. That was followed by a similar goal from Nick Goodwin soon afterwards.

Emson thought he’d scored again only to see Aldrich pull off an astonishing save. Emson got to a low cross by Kirton and Aldrich somehow kept out his close range shot with a brilliant diving stop.

Aldrich was being kept busy and his next save was to block Robinson’s effort from a corner. Unfortunately he was powerless to prevent Goodwin tapping in the rebound though.

It was 8-0 when Emson ran onto substitute Tom Watson’s through ball and helped himself to his fourth goal. Within minutes of the restart Emson came close by heading a Watson corner against the crossbar.

Towards the end Aldrich produced yet another fantastic save to thwart Andy Hallett who was one-on-one with him. However, Cleethorpes ninth goal came from the resulting corner.

Watson whipped it in from the right and Goodwin’s powerful volley deflected in off Emson.

With a few minutes remaining James Deeming raced clear and slotted past Aldrich from 10-yards. That completed an afternoon of misery for Town and made the final score 10-0 to Cleethorpes.

In truth Cleethorpes could have won by many more goals had it not been for lots of great saves by Aldrich. The game was incredibly one sided and was always going to be far too difficult for Town with only nine men against an excellent team.

Town are next in action on Saturday, November 15, at home to Hykeham Town in the Lincs League (2pm).

Town (4-3-1): Aldrich; J.Marshall, Healy, Towl, B.Coulam; Chapman, Hyland, D.Marshall; James.