FOOTBALL: Disappointment as Louth lose to 10 man Shirebrook

Steve Norton  scored Louth's goal on Saturday and maybe should have had more.
Steve Norton scored Louth's goal on Saturday and maybe should have had more.

Saturday saw a depleted Louth Town FC travel to a resurgent Shirebrook Town and there were no excuses from the manager about the loss.

Going down 2-1, Paul Walden said: “No excuses. Again we had enough chances to win the game and Scott really didn’t have a lot to do, but it didn’t happen for us.

“I was disappointed we were not clever enough to break them down when they went down to 10 men, but they shut up shop well and hit us on the counter.

It’s a wide open league this year with some very good sides in it....including us.”

After 5 minutes a great spot kick from Drury found Chapman, who cut in side but dragged his shot wide when he should of scored. Then Norton found himself one on one with the ‘keeper, but his lob went agonisingly wide.

The old saying you have to score when you’re on top struck as Shirebrook took the lead against the run of play. An attack was only half cleared and when the ball was swung in Moxon was the first to react to guide his header past a helpless Drury.

Again a lesser side may have crumbled, but with Andrews, Martin and Coulam driving on from midfield Louth were soon back on level terms. A great move involving Croft, Chapman and Norton the latter power the ball home from six yards.

The second half again started bright but an injury to Chapman stopped the flow for a while. Rawlings coming on as his replacement was soon in the action though and after a terrific mazy run he was only stopped by a deliberate handball by the defender. The red card was inevitable and while Danny Stevens struck his penalty well, the keeper guessed right and pushed the ball to safety.

This gave the home side a boost and when their full back cut inside McSpadden, Stevens was there to cover, but as he stood his ground he was judged to have fouled the player and a penalty was given. Watson smashed the ball home to secure full points.

Louth huffed and puffed for the final 10 minutes but were too direct and couldn’t break down the resilient home defence to fall to their second defeat of the season.