FOOTBALL: Late goals bring both joy and heartbreak to Louth Town

Jamie Coulson turns and fires home the winning goal on 90+5 minutes. EMN-150903-091359001
Jamie Coulson turns and fires home the winning goal on 90+5 minutes. EMN-150903-091359001

It was a case of late goals snatching the points for Louth Town this week as they travelled to Bottesford mid-week before hosting Selby on Saturday.

A goal in the 87th minute by Bottesford’s Wayne Graves proved to be decisive as Louth went down 1-0 at Birch Park Stadium.

A match between two of the division’s higher scoring sides promised a lot but delivered very little goalmouth action in a dour first 45 minutes as the teams effectively cancelled each other out with much of the action being fought in midfield.

Combined with some resolute defending it looked like the visitors would come away with a hard earned point but it wasn’t to be as Graves burst through before firing the ball past Drury and into the corner of the net.

It was Louth’s turn to snatch the points late against Selby Town though, as leading scorer Jamie Coulson netted the winner against in the fifth minute of injury time.

The visiting Robins more than matched a lacklustre Louth throughout the match and will consider themselves unlucky not to take at least a point.

Selby should have taken the lead in the opening seconds as an unmarked Craig Muirhead found himself alone in the box but put his effort high over the bar.

The White Wolves made them pay for this miss just seconds later as Jordan Smith shot low past goalkeeper Theo Criply after the Selby defence failed to clear after a scramble inside the penalty area.

Smith then missed a glorious chance to double Louth’s lead as he raced onto an excellent through ball from Luke Rainer Mistry to find himself one on one with Criply, who rushed out and smothered the strikers effort. A Louth free kick by Tim Lowe went narrowly wide before Coulson’s shot on target was well saved.

Selby looked a different side after the break and put the Louth defence under a lot of early pressure.

A snap shot by Danny Bunch was well saved by Drury before lively substitute Matty Start raced through before stumbling under pressure from Danny Stevens as he prepared to shoot.

At the other end Smith looked to be clean through again, but the ball somehow drifted away from the Louth man as it caught a strong gust of wind. Selby defender Matty Turnbull was then lucky to stay on the pitch as he appeared to be the last man as he pulled back Coulson, the referee amazed everyone by only producing a yellow card.

Selby continued to look for the equaliser and Tom Bennett shot wide when well placed centrally.

The visitors finally got the goal their efforts deserved after 63 minutes and it proved to be a stunner as Jack Binns fired home from 25-yards straight into the top corner.

Jamie Forrester then fired over for Selby before Dan Mortimer saw his shot well saved by Drury.

Just as the game seemed set to end in a draw Louth snatched the winner as Smith’s cross was flicked on by Lee Croft to Coulson, who had time to take a touch before firing the ball past Criply to give Louth all three points.

Manager Paul Walden said: “Three points is three points, but the performance was not acceptable, it was more like a pre-season friendly.

“We still have a lot to play for this season and we expect more from the boys. Yes the playing surface wasn’t good and we struggled to play on it, but we still expect better.

Louth are in Toolstation Northern Counties East League action again this Saturday when they travel to North Yorkshire to face Knaresborough Town. Kick off 3pm.