FOOTBALL: Louth Town recover from 2-0 down to secure draw

Danny Kilmore turns in a packed defence to score Louth's equaliser. EMN-141013-094212001
Danny Kilmore turns in a packed defence to score Louth's equaliser. EMN-141013-094212001
Share this article

Louth Town came back from two goals down at half time to salvage a well deserved point against Knaresborough Town in an entertaining match at Park Avenue.

The game began brightly and flowed from end to end right from the off. Jamie Coulson was denied for Louth as early as the fourth minute as Knaresborough defender Matt Duerden launched a superbly timed sliding tackle to deny the Louth man just as he looked set to score.

Danny Kilmore almost opened the scoring moments later as he slid in and just failed to connect with Jordan Smith’s volley.

The visitors hit back and Liam Gray was unlucky with a 25-yard volley that flashed just wide. Scott Drury in the Louth goal was then called in to action, diving low to his right to deny George Eustance before making a more comfortable save two minutes later as Frazer Lancaster headed straight at him after latching onto a neat flick by striker Mitchell Hamilton.

Rocky Rawling’s had an effort blocked for Louth before a 25-yard dipping shot by Callum Hyland was easily saved by Paul Hagreen in the Knaresborough goal.

The visitors opened the scoring after 35 minutes. Drury initially made a great save to deny Hamilton but the ball fell kindly for Eustance on the edge of the penalty area who fired it into the top corner.

It was 2-0 to Knaresborough just five minutes later as Hamilton and Eustance combined well again before Hamilton turned inside the area and shot home.

Louth noticeably increased the tempo at the start of the second half as they looked to get back in the game and reduced the deficit after 49 minutes as Smith scored with a perfectly placed curling free kick from 25-yards.

Coulson almost equalised moments later as he dribbled into the box before prodding the ball past goalkeeper Hagreen, only to see right back Matthew Donnelly clear the ball off the line. At the opposite end, Hamilton continued to look lively and fired narrowly wide from 18 yards after a neat run.

The White Wolves grabbed the equaliser after an hour as Danny Kilmore latched onto Greg Andrews’ through ball before shooting into the net from 8-yards out.

Louth had loud penalty appeals turned down as Rocky Rawlings appeared to be brought down while at the other end a scramble ensued inside the penalty area with Gray and Jim Bradley both seeing efforts blocked before the ball was cleared to safety.

Both teams continued to search for the winner, but Louth made the task harder for themselves when Coulson was sent off for a second yellow card after 76 minutes.

While Coulson can have no complaints about the second booking after catching Donnelly with a late challenge, his first booking certainly seemed harsh after the referee adjudged he had fouled the same player as they both jumped for a corner.

Substitute Lee Croft then missed two great opportunities to win the game for Louth, firstly shooting wildly over the bar after a great touch took him around defender Byron Littlefair before secondly firing wide from close range when he looked certain to score.

The home side were nearly made to pay for these misses deep into injury time as Lancaster’s header for Knaresborough was ruled out for offside. Seconds later the referee blew his whistle and the match ended all square.

Louth are next in action in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division 1 on Saturday when they travel to Worsbrough Bridge Athletic. Kick off will be at 3pm

Manager Paul Walden said: “After a tentative start we should have had a comfortable three points.

“We have struggled all season putting chances away and it hit us in the backside. We came back really well though and really should have had the victory. Great to see Killy notch though, he deserved his goal.”