FOOTBALL: Louth Town Reserves record first win of the season in derby against Market Rasen


Louth Town Reserves beat Market Rasen Town 3-0 to record their first win this season.

Louth have been playing well lately and it was only going to be a matter of time before the first win came. Sure enough it did in a midweek derby at home to Market Rasen.

Louth made the perfect start with a goal inside two minutes. It was scored by Lance James who rifled in from the edge of the box.

The lead could have been doubled when Dave Deane intercepted a wayward pass by goalkeeper William Bendoro. However, Bendoro made amends with an excellent save to keep out Deane’s shot.

Bendoro then pulled off another good save to deny Deane a second time. Soon afterwards Rocky Rawlings went on a long run and fired narrowly off target from distance.

As Louth continued to dominate, Gary Nimmo raced clear and forced Bendoro into a save. Minutes later Nimmo broke free again and that time he stabbed inches wide of the right post.

At half time Louth were unlucky to only be 1-0 ahead after an outstanding 45 minutes.

And they picked up where they left off in the second half and nearly scored straight from the restart. Ryan King found Deane with a long ball and his effort was saved by Bendoro before James just missed the rebound.

At the other end Ian Williams had a one-on-one brilliantly saved by Robbie Aldrich. The young goalkeeper was untroubled for most of the game, but was always there when called upon.

The second goal came after Rawlings whipped in a corner from the left and Tom Stephens connected with a header that was well saved by Bendoro. The ball was then cleared as far as Rawlings and he crossed for Danny Marshall to head in at the far post.

Just six minutes later Louth put the result beyond doubt with a third goal. On that occasion Deane tried his luck from 20-yards and found the bottom right corner.

Things then went from bad to worse for Market Rasen as Williams was dismissed for lashing out at Bradley Coulam in retaliation to a foul. Coulam was shown a yellow card for the initial foul and Williams received a straight red.

With a three goal lead and numerical advantage Louth were happy to see the game out. They did so and came close to a fourth goal when Deane blasted marginally wide of the left post.

In the last few minutes substitute Ian Smith was shown a second yellow followed by a red for a late challenge on Mitch Whiley. That completed Market Rasen’s night of misery and meant they finished with nine men.

Louth were thrilled to win for the first time since reforming.

Louth’s Ben Humphrey was delighted with the result. He said: “It was great to get our first win of the season.

“We didn’t just win; we won convincingly and could have had 5 or 6 goals. It was a team effort and the performance was outstanding. Rocky Rawlings and Gary Nimmo were very effective on either wing and the other lads did well too.

“I would also like to thank the supporters. People who watch the first team came and they made a good atmosphere with their drumming and cheering throughout the night. They are always welcome to watch the reserves whenever they can.

“Like I say it was great to get our first win and we can build on that.”