FOOTBALL: Louth Town Reserves “robbed” by bad refereeing decisions


CGB Humbertherm won a thrilling derby 5-4 against Louth Town Reserves at the weekend.

This local derby between CGB Humbertherm and Louth Town Reserves was unforgettable with many goals and talking points. On a lower note, it was spoilt a bit by some awful decisions.

The deadlock was broken on six minutes when Adam Coddington drilled the ball across goal and it was deflected in off an opponent. It was an own goal, but it wasn’t clear who got the final touch.

The early setback didn’t affect Humbertherm and they responded with a couple of goals in quick succession. The first of those was by Danny Trott, who raced clear and slotted past Alex Hay.

Just four minutes later a swift counter attack ended with Pete Fuller rifling in from close range.

Town drew level after Liam Stainton was brought down in a dangerous position by Brad McLaughlin. McLaughlin was booked before Cameron Robertson curled the resulting free kick into the top right corner.

Humbertherm were extremely fortunate to take the lead on 34 minutes. Joe Stuart thought his team had been awarded a free kick so he picked the ball up with his hands.

However, a free kick had not been awarded and Stuart ought to have been penalized for handball.

Bizarrely, play was allowed to continue and Trott then went on to score. Town felt aggrieved to concede under those circumstances and nobody could blame them.

Shortly before half time Trott netted his third goal to give Humbertherm a 4-2 lead at half time. On that occasion Trott ran onto Harry Riley’s through ball and beat the offside trap to complete his hat-trick.

Minutes into the second half, Humbertherm skipper, Tom Avison, was fortunate not to be dismissed for violent conduct. Avison lashed out at Ryan Johnson off the ball and if the referee had spotted the incident he would have been shown a red card.

Town had improved after the interval and caused Humbertherm problems. Liam Stainton came close before Chris Ella saw an effort well blocked by Liam Brighton.

After making a promising start to the second half Town were deservedly rewarded with a goal by Ella. Coddington released Johnson on the right and he crossed for Ella to head in at the far post.

Soon afterwards Johnson raced clear of the defence and was brought down in the six-yard-box by Craig Ritchie. Humbertherm’s goalkeeper should have been dismissed for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

The foul itself was a bad one too and meant Johnson had to limp off injured. Unfortunately the referee failed to even show a yellow card.

Once Johnson had received treatment, Robertson put the ball on the spot to take the penalty. Robertson fired his spot kick to the right and sent Ritchie the wrong way to equalize for Town.

From then on it looked like Town had rescued a point, until there was another twist in the 88th minute. Humbertherm went on a late attack and James Stuart finished off the move with a decent strike to win the match.

That goal should certainly not have counted though. In the build up Trott clearly handled the ball and so a free kick should have been awarded.

It was a very obvious handball by Trott and had it correctly been given Town would have come away with a point. Sadly, yet another poor decision meant the final score was 5-4 to Humbertherm.

Louth’s Craig Dalton said: “Again we came away with nothing when individual performances and the team as a whole deserved something out of the game.

“We need to try and grind results out. We’ve proven we can compete and score goals and given the opening fixtures we’ve had I’m sure it’s only a matter of when and not if we get our first points.”

Town are next in action on Saturday away to Ruston Sports in the Lincs League (3pm).