FOOTBALL: Louth Town win in an uphill battle

Louth Town Football Club. 'Quora Developments Man of Match: Danny Stevens. EMN-140311-110018001
Louth Town Football Club. 'Quora Developments Man of Match: Danny Stevens. EMN-140311-110018001

A depleted Louth came out victorious in a tough uphill battle against struggling Hallam on their notorious sloping pitch.

Louth elected to play downhill, but any rhythm the game might have had was defeated by the referee repeatedly stopping the match until he was happy with the pressure of the football. Hallam’s Blythen was soon on target but Drury did well to save

Louth came back at Hallam and a well struck free kick from Greg Andrews on the 18 minute mark hit the post. Hallam’s Osborne then made a dangerous run only to see his effort clear the bar.

The White Wolves came straight back at Hallam and a long ball found Norton clean through, ‘keeper Bark was quick off his line and dived at his feet and some contact was made. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, Stevens stepping up to the spot to give Louth a one goal lead.

Buck substituted Coulam after the break as Hallam began their downhill assault. They were soon rewarded when Town gave away a free kick wide on the left. Quickly taken by Flynn it found the unmarked Blythen. He took his chance and calmly chipped Drury to level the scores.

Moments later Hallam nearly took the lead after a great run by Osborne found the head of Flynn, which went over. This was followed by a disallowed goal for Hallam after a foul on the Louth ‘keeper.

Mike Armstrong who had come on for the injured Lill moved in to take a cross and received an elbow from a Hallam defender and for the second time in the match the referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty. Stevens again stepped up to give Louth the lead.

With the clock ticking Hallam pushed hard for the equaliser but were caught out as Louth countered in the last seconds of injury time. A break down the left was crossed to Kilmore in the area, he controlled well and fooled his marker to pass to Norton who side footed into the net.