FOOTBALL: Mablethorpe almost squander five goal lead.

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22

Mablethorpe Athletic only just won their first match of the season versus CGB Humbertherm Reserves despite being 5-0 ahead with 21 minutes remaining.

This was a very exciting start to Mablethorpe’s season and it was ideal to win the first league game against a strong side. However, Humbertherm almost pulled off an astonishing comeback.

Adam Cannon opened the scoring with the first of his four goals after Jake Spybey found him with the pass of the match. Spybey picked out Cannon from about 40-yards with a pinpoint long ball and Cannon controlled it well then slotted past the onrushing goalkeeper.

Humbertherm correctly had a goal disallowed for offside before Cannon netted his second of the afternoon. On that occasion Andrew Wyer surged into the box and squared for Cannon to fire into the bottom left corner.

The goalkeeper made a good save to keep out a shot by Alex Carter and denied Cannon a hat-trick with an even better save minutes later. Cannon also curled a free kick narrowly over the crossbar before completing a hat-trick with a penalty kick in the 44th minute.

Wyer was bundled over in the area and the referee pointed to the spot with no hesitation. Cannon converted the resulting penalty to complete a hat-trick and give Mablethorpe a 3-0 lead at half time.

Cannon wasn’t finished there and went on to score his and Mablethorpe’s fourth goal less than two minutes into the second half. Soon afterwards left back Adam Brownson let fly from distance and found the back of the net to make it 5-0 to Mablethorpe.

Once Mablethorpe were leading by five goals with roughly a quarter of the game left it looked like they were home and dry. Nobody could have predicted what was to follow.

In the 69th minute Humbertherm pulled a goal back from the penalty spot after Max Billingham was adjudged to have impeded an opponent in the box. Jamie Pittam guessed the right way and got a hand to the ball, but it wasn’t quite enough to keep it out.

Soon afterwards Humbertherm added a couple more goals in quick succession to give themselves a glimmer of hope. They were both neat finishes from close range after good build up play.

Cannon came close to scoring his fifth goal when he latched onto another great pass by Spybey and saw his effort blocked off the line by a defender. Moments later Humbertherm managed another goal at the other end to make the score 5-4 and suddenly it was game on.

That really did set up a nervy finish to the match. However, Mablethorpe were the team that came closest in stoppage time with Carter shooting just wide and Cannon forcing the goalkeeper into a decent save.

There was relief at the final whistle as Mablethorpe hung on for a narrow 5-4 victory.

Mick Stubbs was pleased to start the season with a win. He said: “We made a slow start, but settled down after 10 minutes and gradually took control after 15 minutes.

“We took charge and Adam Cannon went on to score a hat-trick before half time. He then scored another goal early in the second half and was outstanding. The other lads did well, but he was easily the man of the match.

“We thought we were safe late on, took our foot off the gas and conceded four goals which was a shame. We still won though and I’d have gladly taken a 5-4 win before kick off.”

Mablethorpe are next in action on Saturday, August 20, away to Louth Old Boys in the league (2:30 pm).

Mablethorpe (4-2-3-1): Pittam; Brownson, Sirett (c), Billingham, Williamson; Wyer, Carter; Ford (Mackay 72), Spybey, Yarnell (Rolleston 66); Cannon.