FOOTBALL: Mablethorpe come from behind to beat Louth Old Boys


Mablethorpe Athletic came back from 1-0 down to win 3-1 versus Louth Old Boys.

This result made it seven wins out of eight in the league and kept Mablethorpe top. Although it was Mablethorpe’s first game in a month, there were no signs of rustiness in a solid team performance.

Mablethorpe created some chances in the first half, but didn’t take any of them and it was still 0-0 at half time. Alex Carter and Andrew Wyer both came close from long range before the latter surged into the box and stabbed a fraction wide of the right post.

Paul Mail headed a cross by Carter inches over the bar too and in stoppage time Mitch Whiley was thwarted by the save of the match. Whiley ran onto a through ball by Marcus Mackay and the goalkeeper somehow blocked Whiley’s powerful shot with his right boot.

Manager Mick Stubbs changed the formation from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 at half time and brought on Adam Cannon for James Foad. This plan worked effectively in the second half.

Old Boys broke the deadlock with an excellent free kick in the 53rd minute. However, Mablethorpe responded well creating more chances and equalized soon afterwards.

Mail had a shot well saved and the rebound by Whiley was deflected behind for a corner. The resulting corner was swung in by Carter and met by Wyer, whose header was blocked off the line.

Next Mablethope got their equalizer moments after nearly conceding again. Old Boys found themselves through on goal and James Ryan did brilliantly to save one-on-one.

The ball was then cleared and found its way to Mail who raced clear of the defence and squared for Cannon to tap in. That was followed by a goal from Wyer 11 minutes later.

On that occasion Whiley cut inside from the left wing and found Wyer on the edge of the box. Wyer took a touch and fired into the bottom right corner to give Mablethorpe a 2-1 lead.

Whiley went from provider to scorer with a goal of his own in the 81st minute. Cannon floated in a free kick from the right and Whiley rose highest to head into the back of the net.

Towards the end Wyer came close with a decent effort and Ryan pulled off a couple of fine saves. Max Billingham also got forward from defence and blasted just wide of the left post in stoppage time.

Seconds later the final whistle was blown.

Mablethorpe manager Mick Stubbs was relatively pleased. He said: “It was great to have a match after missing several weeks.

“We pressed hard and had many chances without hitting the net in the first half. Alex Carter and Andrew Wyer had very good games in midfield and drove the team on.

“After Louth Old Boys scored an outstanding free kick we kept up the pressure and were rewarded with three goals. Over 90 minutes we dominated and got a well deserved three points. Sadly, we will wait another three weeks until our next game.”

Mablethorpe are next in action on Saturday January 3, away to Immingham Bluestone in the league (1:45 pm).