FOOTBALL: Mablethorpe hit double figures against North Thoresby

Mablethorpe Athletic hammered North Thoresby 10-0 on Saturday, the perfect way to make amends after losing heavily against Alford.

Adam Cannon was back and marked his return with no fewer than five goals. He took barely six minutes to net his first with a neat finish.

Mablethorpe Athletic's Andrew Wyer looks for a gap in the North Thorseby defence EMN-150419-201215001

Mablethorpe Athletic's Andrew Wyer looks for a gap in the North Thorseby defence EMN-150419-201215001

Soon afterwards Cannon was tripped by Brett Wherry in the area. Adam Brownson converted the resulting penalty to double the lead.

It was 3-0 once Cannon latched onto a through ball by Alex Carter and slotted in his second. A minute later Carter played him in again and he completed his hat-trick with a similar goal.

Midway through the half Anthony Parnell ran onto a clever pass by Mathew Sirett before shooting inches over.

In the 42nd minute Andrew Wyer released Cannon and he fired in his fourth of the afternoon. Less than a minute later Danny Webb found Parnell with a diagonal ball, which he controlled and lashed in. That gave Mablethorpe a 6-0 lead at half time.

Mablethorpe picked up where they left off in the second half and Webb was unlucky to rattle the crossbar from 20-yards. Soon afterwards Sirett had a shot headed off the line by Adam Sheard.

Cannon bagged his fifth on 58 minutes by dispossessing goalkeeper Mike Fenton and tapping into an empty net.

7-0 became 8-0 when Wyer cut the ball back for Webb to shoot in from 10-yards. Wyer then turned from provider to scorer bundling in a simple goal from close range.

At 9-0 the supporters were after a 10th goal and got exactly what they wished for. Goal number 10 came when Webb surged down the left and drilled in a low cross for Wyer to blast home.

At 10-0 Mablethorpe’s luck finally ran out and there were no further goals despite several more efforts.

Wyer, Cannon and Parnell all came close in the last 10 minutes. Carter also struck the right post not once, but twice with powerful strikes late on.

It finished 10-0 and Mablethorpe had done very well to win so heavily.

Mick Stubbs was obviously pleased. He said: “Even though some players were missing we did great as usual.

“It was a relief to not get any more injuries and earn three points. We also scored ten goals and played some excellent football. It was good to have Adam Cannon back and he proved he can still score with five goals.

“We now have to get ready for our cup final on Wednesday.”

Mablethorpe are next in action on Wednesday, April 22, in the East Lincs Cup final against Alford Town (6:30 pm).

Mablethorpe (4-2-3-1): Pittam; Arrowsmith (Turner 55), Brownson, Billingham, Williamson; Sirett (c), Carter; Webb, Wyer, Parnell; Cannon (Mail 79).