FOOTBALL: Mablethorpe ruthless to take points from Louth Old Boys

editorial image

Mablethorpe Athletic 4-0 Louth Old Boys

Adam Cannon and Paul Mail both bagged a brace as Mablethorpe won in the league yet again.

This result means Mablethorpe’s league record is now eight wins, a draw and a defeat in 10 matches.

Mick Stubbs made a few changes to the side on a windy day at London Road. James Ryan, Mathew Sirett and Cannon were back in the starting XI while new signings Danny Marshall and Jake Marshall were amongst the substitutes.

Mablethorpe began on the front foot and took an early lead through Cannon. Sirett floated a free kick into the danger zone and Andrew Wyer flicked the ball on for Cannon to blast into the back of the net.

Seconds after the restart Alex Carter let fly from distance and forced Matt Lincoln into a diving save. Soon afterwards Cannon, Marcus Mackay and James Foad all came close for the visitors.

As Mablethorpe continued to dominate Cannon had a powerful strike well saved by Lincoln. The ball then fell kindly to Carter, but he was unlucky to miss the follow up.

Old Boys nearly equalized against the run of play when Lawrie Warsap crossed to Joe Jervis, whose volley struck the left post. Moments later Chris Willerton raced clear and squandered a good chance.

Max Billingham then made a crucial block at the feet of Willerton following a goalmouth scramble. At the other end Mail curled a free kick inches too high on the stroke of half time.

Old Boys looked dangerous towards the end of the first half and were only trailing by a goal at the interval. However, they found themselves 3-0 down after a nightmare start to the second half.

In the 46th minute, Mail had a shot parried by Lincoln before slotting in the rebound. Less than two minutes later it went from bad to worse for Old Boys as Foad played in Cannon for him to score again.

Old Boys kept going and could have pulled a goal back when Jervis fired James Wilson’s low cross wide. Jervis also had an effort saved by Ryan at full stretch.

On 68 minutes Cannon was denied a hat-trick by Lincoln, who pulled off the save of the match to keep out his close range shot.

Mablethorpe made a triple substitution in the 75th minute replacing Mackay, Jamie Pittam and Foad with Luke Turner, Rob Curry and debutante Jake Marshall. Turner almost made an instant impact with a lob that dropped agonisingly wide of the left post.

In the last five minutes Wyer released Mail and he dribbled into the box to net his second and Mablethorpe’s fourth. Before the game restarted Jervis protested to the referee that there had been a foul in the build up to that goal.

The referee totally disagreed and ended up booking Jervis for dissent. Jervis unwisely continued so he was eventually shown a second yellow card followed by a red and Old Boys finished the game with 10 men.

The final score was a bit harsh on Old Boys who didn’t play too badly. Mablethorpe, on the other hand, were more ruthless in front of goal and took their chances.

Mablethorpe’s Mick Stubbs was pleased with another convincing win. He said: “It was a solid performance in windy conditions.

“I made changes to give other players a chance. I’m glad I did because they all played well and we ended up winning 4-0. We have lots of games coming up and will need the whole squad for a busy end to our season.

“Well done to the lads on another good league result.”

Mablethorpe are next in action on Saturday, March 14, away to CGB Humbertherm Reserves in the Town Trophy quarter final (2:30 pm).