FOOTBALL: Mablethorpe win over Scamblesby seals promotion

Adam Cannon making a clearance for Mablethopre EMN-150305-200201001
Adam Cannon making a clearance for Mablethopre EMN-150305-200201001

A 3-0 victory over Scamblesby has edged Mablethorpe closer to the title. The table-toppers are now six points clear after another fine result.

Leading goal scorer Adam Cannon came close before Anthony Parnell opened the scoring early on.

The youngster raced clear and slotted into the bottom left corner. The referee had played a good advantage once Andrew Wyer was fouled in the build up.

Scamblesby responded with a couple of shots from Jack Cunningham – Jamie Pittam was on hand to save both of them.

Pittam’s opposite number Richard Paddison also pulled off a string of saves to thwart Mathew Sirett, Adam Cannon twice and Alex Carter.

Mablethorpe doubled their lead thanks to a bizarre own goal.

Paddison got his fingertips to a low cross by Paul Mail and the ball flew towards his own net. Mark Hughes attempted to clear the ball, but it deflected off Matt Roberts and into the goal.

That made the score 2-0 to Mablethorpe at half time.

Early in the second half Cannon released Danny Marshall, whose shot looked to be going in. That was until Conner Ingamells got back to make a clearance.

Scamblesby kept going and substitute Mark Kelsey headed over a corner from Darren Cuttler. They conceded another goal on 65 minutes though.

It came when Mail floated a free kick into the box and the ball eluded every player before dropping under the crossbar.

Soon afterwards Danny Marshall played in Mail and he thought he’d bagged another after shooting past Paddison. However, Cannon tapped the ball in on the line and was offside. If only Cannon had left the ball Mail would have scored.

As Mablethorpe kept up the pressure Wyer, Danny Marshall, Parnell and Peter Hanley were denied by more saves from Paddison.

Late on Parnell fired inches wide from the edge of the box. He then forced Paddison into one last save right at the end.

Moments later the final whistle was blown. It was a good performance by Mablethorpe and a convincing win.

Mablethorpe are now almost guaranteed promotion to Division One.

Manager Mick Stubbs was content. He said: “We went out to get the three points and did so.

“We could have scored more goals, but lacked a bit of sharpness in front of goal. There were many good performances though. Jake Marshall, Anthony Parnell and Paul Mail all had strong games. However, Jai Williamson was my man of the match and I’m very pleased with him.

“We are now almost guaranteed promotion. If we keep up the good work it could even be enough to win the league.”

Mablethorpe (4-5-1): Pittam; Sirett (c), Billingham (Whiley 60), J.Marshall, Williamson; Mail, D.Marshall, Wyer, Carter (Mackay 53), Parnell; Cannon (Hanley 72).