FOOTBALL: Scoreline doesn’t reflect tight Louth Town tussle

Captain Carl Martin hands over a club  pennant to Gedling's captain EMN-140610-104847001
Captain Carl Martin hands over a club pennant to Gedling's captain EMN-140610-104847001

A 4-1 defeat to Gedling Miners Welfare saw Louth Town bow out of The FA Vase in the second qualifying round of the competition.

Town battled tirelessly on a rainy afternoon at Park Avenue and the match was closer than the final score suggests, even though Gedling had a numerical advantage for most of the game and many things went their way.

Gedling took the lead when Steven Brett climbed highest to head in Jordan Whitehead’s corner from the left. However, Town soon equalised through Steve Norton. Callum Hyland released Paul Coulam on the right wing and his low cross was fired towards goal by Norton. Max Danby did well to save Norton’s first shot, but was powerless to prevent him from tapping in the rebound.

Seconds after the restart Hyland was dismissed for a late challenge on Tom MacDonald. Town kept it tight for the rest of the first half and nearly took the lead on the stroke of half time.

In the second half Brett scored again with another header. On that occasion Ricky Law floated in a free kick from the right and MacDonald flicked the ball on for Brett to head in his second of the day. Town protested that Drury had been fouled in the air as he jumped for the ball, but their protests fell on deaf ears.

Almost straight from the restart Whitehead fired inches wide of the left post from 25 yards. Minutes later the visitors managed another controversial goal.

Substitute Alex Clarson crossed from the left to Slawson and his flick found MacDonald who tapped in at the far post. Town thought there was at least one offside in the build up and believed that goal should have been disallowed too.

Towards the end there was more controversy as Town’s Craig Lill was dismissed for no clear reason. Lill was lying down after being fouled and as he got up he was suddenly shown a red card once Town had been given a free kick.

Things then went from bad to worse for Town as Gedling added a fourth goal in the 90th.