FOOTBALL: Sutton Rovers hit hive five over rivals Mablethorpe


A brace by Raphael Boatey inspired Sutton Rovers to a 5-0 win over Mablethorpe Athletic.

The last derby between these teams was evenly fought and ended in an unforgettable 3-3 draw.

However, this time everything went wrong Mablethorpe and they were on the wrong end of a five goal thriller.

Mablethorpe conceded early when Gavin Till headed in an Alex Carter cross from the left and minutes later their skipper, Mathew Sirett, picked was injured.

Sirett was fouled by Boatey and after treatment he bravely tried to soldier on, but was unable to continue and Luke Russell replaced him within minutes.

Stand in goalkeeper, Jamie Pittam, pulled off a fine save to deny Jake Marshall before gifting Boatey with his first of two goals. Pittam made a hash of his goal kick and Boatey intercepted the ball then chipped it in from 25-yards.

Rob Curry was the second Mablethorpe player to come off injured after rolling his ankle. Curry was eventually carried off following treatment and Jai Williamson was brought on.

Mablethorpe did improve towards the end of the half and came close when Lee Bebbington headed an Andrew Wyer throw-in just wide of the right post. Wyer also tested James MacCallum himself with a shot on target.

Things went from bad to worse for Mablethrorpe as Boatey netted his second of the afternoon on 37 minutes. On that occasion he latched onto a throw-in by Adam Cannon and fired into the bottom right corner from inside the box. Pittam did get a hand to the ball – not quite enough to keep it out though.

At the end of the first half substitute Williamson did very well to deflect Cannon’s close range strike onto the crossbar and Danny Marshall blazed the rebound over. Moments later Shane Yarnell struck the outside of the right post with a low drive from distance.

Sutton picked up where they left off in the second half and Boatey was denied a hat-trick by Pittam at full stretch after good work on the left by Danny Marshall.

Soon after, Simon Merrett became the third Mablethorpe player to pic up an injury after falling awkwardly on his ankle and Luke Turner replaced him.

Jake Spybey took over for Merrett in central defence and did a fine job – he was powerless to prevent a 5-0 defeat though. So was Pittam despite making more saves to deny Cannon, Danny Bishop and Danny Marshall.

It was only a matter of time before Sutton netted a fourth goal through Yarnell.

Pittam got down quickly to keep out an effort by Cannon and the rebound fell kindly to Yarnell who blasted in from a slight angle.

Shortly before full time Mablethorpe’s afternoon of misery was completed when Aaron Tennyson scored an unfortunate own goal. Jake Marshall whipped in a cross from the right and Tennyson connected with a header that flew past Pittam and into his own net. That summed up Mablethorpe’s luck.

Nothing went right for Mablethorpe – three key players were injured, they were unable to cope with the brilliance of Sutton and conceded an unfortunate own goal late on. Sutton, on the other hand, were outstanding and took the bragging rights on derby day.

Mablethorpe had better put this result behind them and make sure they do better in their last match of the season versus Alford Town in a couple of weeks.

A win would most probably mean they finished in sixth place, which would be respectable.

Mablethorpe are at home to Alford on Saturday April 19 at 2:30pm.