Goodhand nets extra time winner to earn safe cup passage for Louth

PAUL Goodhand struck an extra time winner from the spot to send Louth Town through to the second round of the League Cup on Wednesday night.

Goodhand fired home the winner after Andy Reeson was felled with 100 minutes gone to see off Scunthorpe’s Bottesford Town.

It was Daryl Clare’s first competitive win as manager after Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Albion Sports in the season opener.

The White Wolves started well with two penetrating runs down the right by Rocky Rawlings and a long range shot by Matt Kennedy. Callum Hyland showed his skill by turning his defender and forcing the keeper to push the ball out for a corner. This was headed out by Bottesford and the second corner was easily collected by ‘keeper Zand.

The half continued with more wasted chances by Louth and the attacks Bottesford did mount were nulified by the defence or saved by the excellent Ian McTaggert.

Dan Pawson came on to start the second half in place of Rocky Rawlings. Town won a free kick just outside the box and Kennedy’s cross was headed out for a corner. Numerous attacks were now being made but Bottesford stood firm. Coulam was penetrating deep and giving the defence serious trouble.

Bottesford were allowed back into the match and in a goal mouth scramble Ben Stevens saved the day. Paul Morrill then had a fine long range shot clawed away by man of the match McTaggert.

The resulting corner was cleared by Appleby, who launched the ball on to the feet of Coulam. Zand dived at his feet denying the young forward of his first league goal in possibly his best match to date.

When Bottesford did attack the whole defence worked well to nullify and counter. On 78 minutes Andy Reeson came on for Coulam and made an immediate impact. He passed to Matt Kennedy, whose shot went just wide of the post.

Extra time began in much the same pattern as the second half until 100 minutes when Reeson made a searing run down the left and was hauled down just inside the area. The referee has no hesitation in awarding a penalty despite numerous protests from Bottesford.

Goodhand stepped up and slammed his penalty past the goalkeeper to give the White Wolves a well deserved lead.

The second period of extra time saw intense pressure from Town who they were unable to increase their slender lead, but it didn’t matter as the final whistle was blown and the visitors safely made it through to the second round.

Town boss Daryl Clare said: “Tonight we showed the qualities we have been asking for in abundance. Communication, organisation, desire and togetherness.

“Our football was again pleasing on the eye and our goalkeeper (McTaggert) won us the match, he was magnificent.”

Town visit Glossop North End on Saturday in the first FA Cup qualifier of the season.