Goodhand rescues point after Louth throw away the lead

editorial image
Share this article

Louth Town saw a 2-0 lead wiped out before they rescued a late point at home to Bottesford Town at a sodden Park Avenue on Saturday.

It was a miracle that the game was played at all as it was only one of two matches played in the entire Baris Northern Counties East League, with only a handful surviving in the Football League on the same day.

Town had raced into a 2-0 lead with two goals in a minute after the break, before three in 16 second half minutes put the visitors in front. And it was left to Paul Goodhand to earn a share of the spoils with a penalty six minutes from time.

Despite the conditions some good attacking football was shown in the early stages, both teams were clearly looking to take the three points.

Elliot Broughton and Paul Goodhand combined well for the hosts and almost scored early on but the ball just crept inches past the goal-post.

Manager Daryl Clare, again forced to lace up his boots, led by example and put in a good show of determined football but in the 39th minute came off with a hamstring injury.

Replacing Clare and returning from lengthy spell out because of a foot injury was winger Jamie Coulson.

Louth came out for the second half with renewed vigour and in the 46th minute Coulson saw an effort ruled out, but just two minutes later Paul Goodhand’s hard-work paid off when he scored the opening goal.

And the White Wolves wasted no time in scoring a second when just a minute later Nick Manders made it 2-.

In the 51st minute home striker Andrew Willoughby came off with an injury and was replaced by Bobby McSpadden and two minutes later Bottesford`s Dayle Hutson pulled one back despite Ian MacTaggert`s attempts and in the 64th minute Daniel Gibbons made the scores level.

Both teams applied more pressure and Louth`s Jamie Coulson, Elliot Broughton and Bobby McSpadden made some threatening runs but Louth were stunned in the 69th minute when Morrill made it 3-2 to Bottesford.

With time ebbing away, Louth thew everything forward and in the 84th minute a penalty was given and Paul Goodhand scored the equaliser to earn a point for Town.

Clearly disappointed manager Daryl Clare said: “It was a gamble to play the match at all but we needed to as we hadn`t played for nearly a month.

“We had a good chance to win all three points but we have to make do with one. We didn’t play to the conditions again and I suppose it is summed up by the fact that I pulled a hamstring near the end of the first half because of the work rate I was having to put in.

“I expect at least as much from my players.

Looking ahead to Boxing Day’s away match at Clipstone, Daryl Clare said that he will have to field many reserves as the first team squad has suffered several injuries and has a number of players unavailable for this important.

“I don’t know what kind of team I shall be able to out out but every game counts now and Clipstone are a good side,” he said.

“There are a lot of points at stake and we need to put out a strong side so it is disappointing that we shall have to call on a lot of reserves although I know they will give of their very best.”

Louth Town would like to thank Match Sponsors - Rick Hill and Bridget Harris and Foxhall Construction Ltd for sponsorship of the match ball.