Home defeat ends Louth Town’s record run

Louth skipper Carl Martin challenges a loose ball in the home defeat to Hemsworth Miners Welfare.
Louth skipper Carl Martin challenges a loose ball in the home defeat to Hemsworth Miners Welfare.

LOUTH Town’s nine game unbeaten run came to an end with a disappointing 2-1 defeat to Hemsworth Miners Welfare at Park Avenue on Saturday.

A stuttering first half performance from the hosts was punished when the sixth placed visitors took the lead through Lee Swift.

White Wolves skipper Carl Martin equalised shortly after the break with a thumping header before Jon Impey netted the winner for Hemsworth.

Louth were without striker Jamie Rowbotham who broke his leg in the derby win over Grimsby Borough last week.

The opening 15 minutes saw some scrappy challenges especially from the visitors who tried to assert themselves on the game. Andy Hart was booked for a poor challenge and Matt Kennedy’s shot from the resulting free kick forced a good save from Dale Walston in the Hemsworth goal.

With the first real chance of the game the Wells went ahead. On 25 minutes a clever backheel from Andy Hayward played in Lee Swift who finished neatly past Craig Wherry.

Louth were still struggling to create any rhythm and it was Hemsworth who looked the likelier to score next. When Town defender Stuart Leafe misjudged a high ball it let Hayward in but defender Andy Appleby got across to make a great interception.

Hemsworth started brightly after the break and Mark Wood cleared a Jon Impey header off the line before Hayward saw a goal ruled out for offside as Louth clung on.

But on 54 minutes the hosts drew level. A dangerous corner from Kennedy was flicked on at the near post and Carl Martin headed home from a yard out to make it 1-1.

Louth pushed on for the all-important next goal but it was Hemsworth who hauled themselves back in front. A looping cross from the left wing deceived home goalkeeper Craig Wherry and Impey nipped in to head home.

Both sides continued to attack and Hayward’s rifled effort flew low across goal for the West Yorkshire side before Robbie Crapper blazed wide.

Paul Walden’s men had a decent chance to equalise when leading scorer Steve Norton burst through before playing in Leafe who shot straight at the goalkeeper.

The Wells were reduced to ten men in the 83rd minute when Damion Liddle saw red for appearing to stamp on Mark Wood.

As the game ticked away Louth threw everything forward in search for the equaliser. Kennedy came within inches of scoring when he attacked a knock down in the box but the Welfare defender made a crucial block.

But the final whistle came and the visitors had claimed a great away win against the league’s form team.

The defeat leaves Louth in 14th in the Northern Counties East League Division One table, six points away from the top half.

Walden’s men will look to return to winning ways when they visit bottom side Appleby Frodingham on Saturday (3pm).