Kennedy bags a brace as Louth slip to Hallam draw

Top scorer Matt Kennedy nets for Louth Town in the 2-2 draw against Hallam FC at Park Avenue.
Top scorer Matt Kennedy nets for Louth Town in the 2-2 draw against Hallam FC at Park Avenue.

A WEEKEND draw against Hallam FC at Park Avenue rounded off a disappointing few days for the Louth Town which sees them slip to third in the league table.

Town went down 3-1 at Askern Villa in midweek and were eager to get back to winning ways against strugglers Hallam.

The home side had the best of the opening exchanges, putting together some stylish attacking moves and after just 12 minutes they took the lead when Matt Kennedy’s solo run was finished well for his ninth of the season.

Luck struck a blow on 27 minutes when a groin strain forced Danny Kilmore to be replaced by Mark Fairburn and suddently Town looked second best.

It was not really a big surprise when Hallam netted on the half hour mark. The ‘goal’ did not count because of an offside but the let off lasted less than four minutes as Ben Cobley’s excellent long range shot flew into the top left hand corner.

In the 37th minute Louth also had the ball in the net when Carl Moncaster slipped it through to Matt Kennedy for a good finish but referee Daniel McGinlay disallowed it for offside.

Louth were obviously given a stern team talk by manager Daryl Clare at the interval, and whatever he said worked because the restart was only a minute old when another excellent solo run by Kennedy made it 2-1.

Louth were in the ascendency and had the better of the play but once again Hallam were allowed back into the game when on 62 minutes visiting pressure resulted in a penalty which Cobley slotted home for 2-2.

Louth tried to regain the lead as Kennedy hit the woodwork but moments later Callum Hyland cleared the ball off the line just as it was about to put Hallam ahead.

A spat in the 82nd minute led to Cook for Hallam being shown a yellow card and the game settled down for the last minutes and even though Louth made several good attempts, and with moments left the unmarked Paul Coulam’s diving header flew wide when scoring might have been easier.

Manager Daryl Clare is under illusion about the task of keeping his side with the league leaders

“Hallam deserved their point, we were slow to start and boring to watch, apart from two stand out performances by Moncaster and Kennedy,” he said.

“We face a difficult spell as the injury list grows, it’s a bad one every game and we are now missing several key players.

“How we stay joint second is remarkable and a credit to the lads who have hung on. Our injuries are challenging us as our players are playing out of position and our options to change games are limited.

“We don’t do excuses, so we just rally and get on with the best we can until the wind changes and some big players return.”

Town face a tough trip to seventh placed Worsbrough Bridge Athletic on Saturday (3pm), where they will hope to find a welcome return to form.