Kennedy rescues a point for Louth Town in season opener

Louth Town line up before their season opener at Albion Sports.
Louth Town line up before their season opener at Albion Sports.

A MATT Kennedy equaliser rescued a point for Louth Town in their season opener at Albion Sports on Saturday, but manager Daryl Clare insisted his side deserved all three points.

Kennedy’s second half strike cancelled out Aron Heywood’s earlier opener to give Town a solid 1-1 draw to start their Northern Counties East League Division One campaign.

The White Wolves started well, passing the ball around but struggling to create any clear openings. Albion’s style was in contrast, with frequent long balls being cut out by Town captain Carl Martin.

But the first half was one of little real action, though Willoughby, Kilmore and Stevens did find some joy without really testing Ashley in the Albion goal.

Louth came out after the break in search of a goal, and almost took the lead when Goodhand’s cross was met by Andy Willoughby who nodded wide.

Matt Kennedy was thrown on for the injured Kilmore and began to make some darting runs down the left.

But it was the hosts who took the lead on the hour mark when some confusion at the back saw Heywood race through and slot past McTaggert.

Clare urged his men forward in search of the equaliser and two crosses from Kennedy were both headed over but Armstrong nodded wide from a corner.

Again Town attacked, with Willoughby beating three and shooting across goal only for Ashley to save well, before on 76 minutes the visitors drew level.

A freekick was laid off by Goodhand to Kennedy who slammed home from inside the box to make it 1-1.

With the game heading towards its conclusion Mark Wood ran the length of the pitch and his cross arrowed into Armstrong whose shot was well saved.

Stevens and man of the match Callum Hyland in particular worked tirelessly but the final whistle came and it ended with the points shared.

Afterwards, Town boss Daryl Clare admitted his side could have won the game.

“That was the most one sided draw you will ever witness, if we create that many chances every week I will be a happy man,” he said.

“We just need to polish up our finishing in front of goal, which I am confident I can address.

“Our team spirit and resilliance is unbreakable at the minute.”

Town’s season continues with a visit to Bottesford Town on Wednesday night in the first round of the Northern Counties East League Cup (7.45pm) before a visit to Glossop North End on Saturday where their FA Cup campaign begins again.