Kennedy takes season tally to 24 as Louth Town see off strugglers Selby

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE
Share this article

A brace from Matt Kennedy helped Louth Town beat the league’s bottom team Selby Town 3-1 to earn a second successive victory.

Kennedy’s goals either side of a Callum Hyland’s strike gave Town the points on a cold Wednesday night at Park Avenue.

Louth were on attack from the off and it only took minutes for some shots from Coulson, Kennedy and Willoughby to test the visiting goalkeeper.

Once again manager Daryl Clare set the example which the other players matched in both quality and quantity of effort.

It wasn`t long before the White Wolves scored a goal and top scorer Matt Kennedy added another one to his collection, scoring Louth`s first goal to make the score 1-0 after 14 minutes.

After this, the shots came in thick and fast on Selby`s goal and several times the scoreline was nearly increased.

Selby`s Nathan Lovell was shown a yellow card for fouling and then Coulson shot as the excitement built.

Hyland then made an attempt that narrowly went over but his hard work had not been for nothing when he finally scored in the 40th minute, making the score 2-0 to the home side.

Just before half-time, Louth Town made another attempt at Selby`s goal but the shot just went narrowly wide.

Louth Town were on the attack as soon as the whistle for the second-half sounded but this time Selby attempted a couple of runs as well, only to be abruptly stopped by goalie Ian MacTaggert who had played extremely well.

In the 71st minute, Selby were reduced to ten men after Nathan Lovell was shown another yellow and therefore a red.

Jonathan Walton and Andy Appleby came on for Andy Willoughby and manager Daryl Clare in the 77th minute and two minutes later Matt Kennedy found the net again with an amazing long shot, making the score 3-0.

It was Kennedy’s 24th of what is becoming a fantastic season, putting him third in the league’s goalscoring charts.

A minute later Jack Potter came on for Kennedy and Selby put on Reuben Pearse for Josh Dinsley.

In the 82nd minute, Selby pulled one back through Mick Jones after a melee and made the score 3-1.

Just before the end Jack Potter put in a perfect through pass but Town held on for a 3-1 victory.

“We gave a competent performance, showing great organisation and discipline,” said Town’s assistant Manager Carl Forman.

“We are beginning to look really dangerous when we are attacking which is why we have scored eight goals in our last two games.

“We go into a difficult game away at Hallam on Saturday with good team-spirit, rising confidence and a real determination, to bag another three points.

“We have a home game next Wednesday against Knaresborough in the league cup and we hope as many as possible will come to support the effort the players are putting in.”

Town stay 10th in the Northern Counties East League Division One table, 15 points away from the summit with two games in hand.